Problem starting wildfire

I have followed all of the instructions for installing wildfire on a linux box and it seems that everything goes fine until I try and start the proc. It says “Starting Wildfire” but the proc is never started. This is what I found in the error log:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jivesoftware.wildfire.starter.ServerStarter

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.install4j.runtime.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)

Any suggestions would be helpful.

christopherb,

Are you starting the service as root or as a admin account? When I stared WF as an Admin account (even as sudo) it would not run. Had to be root for it to work for me.

This may not be the answer but I thought I would offer any help that I could.

Grant.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I haven’‘t installed it correct. I am running a linux red hat server which I am new to. I don’'t have an RPM installer so I have to use the tarball to install it. I have followed the instructions in the docs which basically had me unpack the files. I think I should have to compile the code or something like that?

./configure

make

make install

Can someone point me in the right direction. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks

Hi Chris,

these are jar files, you don’'t need to compile a thing. Did you try to start Wildfire a root or as a normal user? I think you must have write access to the libs directory the first time you start it so it can unpack the jar.pack2000 files.

If you did unpack it in “/home/chis” as user “chris” with “tar -xzf wildfire_2_4_0.tar.gz” then you should be able to start it with “~/wildfire/bin/wildfire start”.

LG

I was under the impression that one should if using the .tar.gz, extract the archive to /opt or /usr/bin: (not mandatory but it’'s in the install documentation). Those directories are owned by root, so running the start script and modifying the conf files should be done as root. If you want to run as a different user you would have to change the rwx permissions on that directory as well as any others the service needs to access and modify.

Grant.

Hi Grant,

well, running Wildfire as root is something one could image as a great thing, but usually it’'s not a good idea. Most unix processes usa a dedicated user to run instead of root to make things more secure.

I’‘m not aware of a Wildfire bug which allows to send a message to the server with a shell command which is executed. But things like this could be possible and I feel more secure if user “foobar” is running Wildfire. And it’'s not only Wildfire, also the plugins must be regarded. One could write a plugin with a MessageInterceptor just to do this.

IMHO the installation guide should make clear that one must not be “root” to install and start Wildfire or one of the plugins.

LG

I see what you mean. One should be able to make a account called “wildfire” and just set the permission to the folders that are need just like one does for running MySQL. That would be a better way of running it.

Grant.