Problem upgrading 3.7.1 to 3.8.0 on Windows 2008 R2

So, last year I won a hard-fought battle to get intra-office messaging (so that we wouldn’t have to just drop emails to each other, or shout across the cubicles) and I chose Openfire as the solution.

I managed to install 3.7.1 on the internal server (Windows 2008 R2 64 bit), but now that I see that 3.8.0 exists, I thought I’d upgrade. So, I download the executable and run it. Choose my language, agree to the terms, pick my destination directory AND any start menu choices (defaults in both) and then click next.

After that, it says ‘uninstalling previous version’ - which hangs forever.

When I cancel and try to go back to my old setup, C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire doesn’t seem to have the program in it anymore. But it has an uninstaller, so I try running it and it says I need to install a JRE (which I imagine I already had installed).

I have no idea what’s happening. But this upgrade is certainly not going smoothly. I’m downloading a JRE once more, and after that I’m going to try manually “uninstalling” and then manually reinstalling the new version. (I can’t even find the install for 3.7.1 anymore).

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? Because I’m pretty sure I messed up somewhere, I’m just not sure where.

Update: After installing a new JRE (still not sure where my old one went) and manually clicking ‘uninstall’, I was able to install 3.8.0. But I stll had to manually start the service.

I’d still love to know what I did wrong initially.

First, allways do backup before upgrading, so you can quickly revert to the older working copy.

On windows installer sometimes hangs on Uninstall step (1 of 3 times for me). Then you can just kill the setup and run it again.

So the options would be to run 3.8.0 again on top of what is left. But it has some bugs, though you may not be affected. Maybe better to use 3.8.1 alpha 73/Project-Windows-distribution-files/openfire_3_8_1_alpha.exe

Or you can download older installers by substituting version numbers in the download link, e.g. 3.7.1 - ire_3_7_1.exe