Problems connecting to jabber.org

Hi people,

I’'m having some trouble connecting to jabber.org. At least I think the trouble is in the connecting process.

My code:

try
        {
            XMPPConnection connection = new XMPPConnection("jabber.org");
            connection.login("login","pass");
            Roster roster = connection.getRoster();
            for (Iterator i=roster.getEntries(); i.hasNext(); ) {
                System.out.println(i.next());
            }
        }
        catch (XMPPException e)
        {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }

Only the Sent part of the Debug window shows information:

<stream:stream to="jabber.org" xmlns="jabber:client" xmlns:stream="http://etherx.jabber.org/streams">
</stream:stream>

Can anyone tell me what I’'m doing wrong?

Regards,

Mark Monster

Message was edited by: mkamonster

Mark,

Looks like the server wasn’'t responding… could be a network problem or the server was down during your tests? You might wish to do most of your testing with a local server instead?

BTW, good to see you edited your message to remove your username and password.

Regards,

Matt

Yes maybe this is a good thing to do. Using a local server for testing. Is there any server available under Windows?

Regards,

Mark Monster

Umm, how about Jive Messenger?

-Matt

Umm, how about Jive Messenger?

-Matt

Isn’'t that a product of Jive Software?:slight_smile:

Alright I’'m downloading it. I think the 10-user license will suite us.

But I also found the open-source jabberd server by jabber.org. Installed the Windows Server, but it was just like hell. I couldn’‘t add any users. So how on earth was I able to use that jabberd server:|. Now I’‘m installing Jive Messenger. Let’‘s see what’'s gonna happen:).

Alright, I see a very nice Zero G installer. In my opinion the best installer for Java software.

Now starting the server:).

Configuring the server. I have the possibility to use an embedded database (HSQL-DB).

After the installation. It is possible to use a browser-interface to completely configure Jive Messenger.

I have made my choice.

Regards,

Mark Monster

Glad you were able to get Jive Messenger up and running. Eventually, you may with to switch over to a normal database to store data since it’'s a more scalable solution and lets you back-up data a bit more easily. The embedded database works great for testing, though.

Regards,

Matt

Just so you know, the jabber.org server was probably not responding because of it’'s current hardware state.

In the jdev@conference.jabber.org room they have been talking about upgrading the server hardware. Until then, they have limited the socket connections to 3000, which is very often full. If you do not get a response, just try a couple more times, and you will most likely connect at some point.

Alright, thanks for the notice. I will try to build a feature for auto-reconnect or something. But that will be a later issue.

Regards,

Mark Monster