Problems starting Openfire 3.4.0 ("line 230: egrep: command not found")

I’m having troubles starting Openfire 3.4.0 on ‘Red Hat ES Linux OS 4’ (according to westhost.com where my server is hosted…). After installing Java JRE (which I have no idea wether I have done right, but it did seem to install…), I’ve started openfire with the following commands:

/opt/openfire/bin$ ./openfire start
./openfire: line 230: egrep: command not found
Starting openfire
nohup: appending output to `nohup.out’

It doesn’t seem to do anything, nohup.out contains no output, and the server doesn’t seem to run at all. Any suggestions?

If you need the output of any more files, gimme a buzz, and I’ll flick it over. Cheers for your help!

TC

Hi TC,

you may want to install “grep” using “yum”, this should include “egrep”.

You could even use a more simple start script, as described in Simple Start Scripts.

LG

After some fiddling around, it definatly does seem to be some issue with a missing ‘egrep’. However, partly due to my incompitence with Linux (at least, anything not Debian based), but mostly due to my VPS host’s draconian restrictions, I still haven’t managed to get the server running. I tried installing ‘grep’ via yum, only to find THAT doesn’t exist. Nor does any RPM manager. I’ve been told that without root access, I’m in no luck on that front.

The scripts didn’t work also, probably due to the inability to make new users (or root access).

I even went into the default startup script and removed the line that involved egrep. It DID seem to work, and I got through to the admin panel, but the client ports didn’t work, and after rebooting, refused to come up entirely again. The VPS is probably running all of 8MB of available memory, for all I know (however it IS running Teamspeak, so it should have enough space…). Time to look for a new host, methinks. * rm -rf / *

Anyway, thanks for all your help LG, hopefully I’ll find some solution to the problem.

TC

Hi TC,

if you would have mentioned VPS in your first thread I would have suggested to read Linux Installation Guide and use a real server.

LG