Process for introducing a new API

I have written an extension for Smack to support pubsub (XEP-0060) and would obviously like to see it incorporated into that library. As this involves a completely new API, I was wondering if there is any process to ‘introduce it’ as it were.

Basically, I would like to get some feedback as to it’s ease of use and improve any shortcomings before it is released into Smack itself (assuming of course that it as accepted).

I know from past postings, the lack of support for pubsub in Smack has been brought up many times over the last couple of years. I for one would like to see that rectified, and I hope my proposed solution fits the bill.

I have already entered a Jira issue along with the source code.

Robin

OK, since I haven’t gotten any feedback on this, I am going to take the “better to ask forgiveness than permission” approach :sunglasses:

There have been a few people using the pubsub jar I posted a few months ago and feedback has been positive.

So my plan is this. I am going to create documentation for this extension to go along with the existing Smack docs. Once that is done, I will add my new code to the Smack code base where it will be available for the next release. Except for a couple of utility classes that can be useful to other Smack development, it is pretty much self contained. This documentation will probably take a week or two, depending on how much time I can get doing it.

So if anyone has any objections, you have about 1-2 weeks to voice them.

Robin

Sounds great

go for it