Proposal for two "reduce the annoyance" features and a nifty thing (tm)

Hi there.

I haven’‘t found a discussion on this issues with a quick search (although I have to admit that my query words were somewhat weak) so I’'d like to propose the following changes/additions:

Annoying:

Emoticons/Smilies:

Looking at the latest beta there is already a way to change the emoticons. Where’'s the button/checkbox/tool to disable those beasts completely? Should be fairly trivial…

Privacy concerns/Typing notification:

Gaim allows me to turn off these “Composing a message” notifications. While I like the feature in a corporate only setup I don’'t want those notifications to be enabled all the time. A simple checkbox for this would be great and should be quite easy to support as well.

Nifty feature/fun/interesting:

On this Gaim/Typing notification topic: The 2.x version of Gaim has a plugin that opens a message window as soon as someone starts to type a message for you. That means you see a window before they send the message and therefor already know that X is gonna contact you now. Very nice for a corporate environment again, imo.

Thanks in advance for any answer. I really like Spark, it could become my client of choice (and with the latest Gateway plugin for Wildfire/Openfire my multi-protocol client needs are gone), but these “annoyances” would need to be fixed. I sure could hack on Spark myself, but I’‘d rather stick to the original than create a private fork… I’'m lazy…

DarKlajid wrote:

Nifty feature/fun/interesting:

On this Gaim/Typing notification topic: The 2.x version of Gaim has a plugin that opens a message window as soon as someone starts to type a message for you. That means you see a window before they send the message and therefor already know that X is gonna contact you now. Very nice for a corporate environment again, imo.

isnt it the same when new chat window opens in taskbar (or on top if “bring to front” is selected) when you receive a message? is it really worth to know that someone is typing for you and you’‘ll get the message in a sec.? I think it’‘s not, imo. It even can drive you nuts, because you’‘ll be always waiting for a person to type his first message. And in our work environment (90% women) user’‘s first message often is “Hi”. So it’'s even less than second between opening blank window while one types and opening a window with first message.

ok, maybe this could be useful or just nice in some cases, but i think we should let devs fix bugs first

This has a huge annoyance factor attached to it. Why do i need a blank window popping up, causing me an additional, and in this case completely unproductive, work interruption? As you said, the initial “Hi” is usually extraneous.

Now i know i just moaned about “just because you don’‘t see the need doesn’‘t mean it doesn’'t exist” in a different thread, but that for for a widely used feature, this seems really escoteric.

Argh…

I posted three points, two important and a gimmick. The only replies so far are “We don’‘t need that stinkin’’ gimmick”. Fine for me, but more reasonable answers/opinions regarding the real issues would be great. Which are:

• Annoying/ugly text replacements with “emoticons”

• The privacy issue w/ typing notifications (read: I don’'t want to send this all the time)

Thanks,

Ben

are you saying that you get typing notifications? i was just in another thread defeding the need for them. I don’‘t seem to have them. or are they there but spark-> spark only? i’'m currently testing spark in an all-exodus network.

I have typing notifications. The following combinations seem to work:

IM Gateway -> Spark

Spark -> IM Gateway

I didn’‘t test it via XMPP, since I’'m running a private server for my ‘‘One server to rule them all’’ lazyness.

But as I posted in the first entry: I want the ability to disable those notifications at will.

Hi Ben,

Annoying/ugly text replacements with “emoticons” … especially when one receives some code snippets.

The privacy issue w/ typing notifications right, I don’'t like them either.

Any other users who’'d like to be able to disable some of the cool Spark features?

LG

Annoying/ugly text replacements with “emoticons” … especially when one receives some code snippets.

SPARK-296