Public openfire servers

Hi All,

I’m currently using jabber.org.au as my jabber account - but its dieing a slow death and starting shutting down transports, stability problems etc…

I’ve heard alot of good things about openfire and am wanting to test it out as a user.

Are they any public jabber server that use openfire - specifically that allow access to yahoo/msn/icq transports

Cheers

Justin

holarse-linuxgaming.de has an openfire server - afaik it is public but i don’t know if there are any transports enabled but perhaps you could contact the admin and ask him to enable them. (once he offered me to enable the icq transport so perhaps you’re lucky)

Hi Justin, welcome to IgniteRealtime B-).

Jive has its own servers where you can register: jivesoftware.com & igniterealtime.org. jivesoftware.com has a complete list of available gateways. Gateways in igniterealtime.org doesn’t appear to be working for now.

Thanks for the replies guys!

i did discover services on igniterealtime.org and jivesoftware.com - there are transports available but there are ‘greyed’ out in gajim - anyone know about this?

Cheers

Justin

They are usually disabled when you haven’t registered your gateway transport account, or you haven’t signed on. I’m supposing that you’ve already clicked on “Discover Services” menu and see the icons. Right click on the greyed icons and edit your transport registration information.

Thanks guys for your help

just created an account on the jive servers and can use the transports now

Cheers

Justin

sorry guys, one more question - how come you have to register for a account of these servers before access the transports (where as most other servers allow you to connect through without registering)

Cheers

Justin

that’s according to the internal structure of the transports plugin, which makes heavy use of internal functions of openfire - therefore this transports can only be used by users from the same server.