powered by Jive Software

Purpose of <setup>true</setup> in openfire.xml?

What is the purpose of the true and false settings in the openfire.xml file?

I can find references to this parameter (See 1 and 2, but the description are pretty vague, and it’s not discussed in the Installation Guide).

I’m a little confused by the naming of this parameter. Does this setting mean that the server is still in a “setup mode”, or does it mean the server has been set up. When should I manually set this parameter to ‘true’ or ‘false’?

Will this setting cause the existing Openfire configuration and database to be overwritten upon restart? Openfire overwrote our configuration database, and we’re trying to figure out why.

Thanks for the help,

-= Stefan

I’m a newbie but I’m pretty sure if it’s set to false (the default on installation) it assumes this is the first time it’s been launched and will take you through the set up process. If it’s set to True you aren’t walked through the setup process.

There are a couple of things that you can only set in the set up process so you would edit True back to False to change them - which I’ve had to do and it works.

I understand it can be confusing, this tag should be named better. As hingehead already said ‘true’ means that setup has been completed. If you change this tag value to ‘false’, then the setup process will be invoked on the next Openfire startup. This is not documented as usually administrator doesnt have to edit openfire.xml and this tag manually.

Setup process doesnt overwrite existing database. E.g. if you choose to use embedded database it will create a new databse onoy if there is no database already existing. If there is one, it will connect to already existing. Should be the same with other database setups.