Question about Spark's bandwidth

Hello, I’m new here, I’m from Indonesia, using Openfire server, I would like to ask :

1. I has 75 or more client at some time I was checkin the bandwidth usage with Mikrotik Torch, I see the Spark client getting data (like download) from Openfire server (port 5222) , it makes me feel not comfort , and I already googled that problem but still doesn’t find the answer, can anyone here help me with the answer? In one day Spark client would like download data from the server so that the server bandwidth that reserved for another server cannot be used,

I have changed your post’s title, though i’m not sure i quite understood your question. But this is not enough to put “Ask” in the title. You have to describe your issue at least with 3-4 words.

Now, can you describe again what is your issue? Communication in xmpp/jabber network is always going client-server-client way. So it is naturally that then Spark sends a message to another Spark user it goes to Openfir first and then Openfire transfers it to that another Spark user. so in that case you should see traffic coming from Openfire to Spark client. With file transfers it is usually client-client scenario and Openfire shouldn’t be involved, unless there are some obstacle for file transfers (firewall, NAT) and Openfire is set to behave as a proxy. Then file transfers would also go thrugh Openfire.

Other than messages there plenty of other data Spark may be getting from Openfire. E.g. presence updates about other clients (online, away, busy, etc.). Roster updates (who is on the contacts group and in what group). Group chat (all group chat history is managed and stored on Openfire server).

Sorry, didn’t mean that, next time I’ll be more paying attention to that.

My server status is :

Openfire version = 3.6.4

File Transfer = Disabled

Pep = Disabled too,

in that case, when I’m monitoring the traffic in Mikrotik, there will be 5 - 8 IP address (client) looks like getting (download) data simultaneously, about 256kB / IP (max connection bandwidth of my client which is different IP can be different city)

That was make me quite curious about what’s that make this problems happen? If there the Roster update that makes this happen?

thanks for answering

First off, nice on the Mikrotik! (I’m a Routerboard/Mikrotik fan myself!)

Ok… so I think what you are seeing is the normal chatter that happens between the XMPP clients and the XMPP server… things like presence packets, ping packets, etc all go back and forth quite often.

I don’t know of OF 3.6.4 supports the Load Statistics plugin (OpenFire Admin Page --> Plugins --> Available Plugins --> Load Statistics), but if you install that plugin it will show you the packets being sent around on your XMPP network, how many users are active, and the general “load” on your server.

Is this what you were looking for?

Really? that was normal things? it was quite often actually, and the full load traffic disturbing other application that using the bandwidth too (Oracle Apps = which means no tolerance between intermittent connection)

More question if you may, I was actually newbie to this Server, can you describe to me how to install the Plugins? are the server must be on internet connection? or I can just upload it while I’m opening the web config?

You may want to look into upgrading your Openfire server, as it’s quite out of date by now (current version 3.8.2 as of writing this).

Here’s a guide on how to do that: http://www.igniterealtime.org/builds/openfire/docs/latest/documentation/upgrade- guide.html

There may be improvements with the latest OF versions that reduce the network load possibly – but in general it’s best to run the latest for a lot of reasons.

To install the plugins via the Web Interface, yes your OF server would need to be able to reach out to the internet to download them. Alternatively you can download individual plugins from here http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/plugins.jsp and drop those into your plugin directory on the server, or upload them from the Plugins page in the OF Admin Interface.

I was wrong before, it’s actually the Monitoring Service plugin that you will want. http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/plugins/monitoring.jar

The other plugin (Load Statistics) logs stats to a file.

Here’s a screenshot from my Openfire 3.8.2 server with 16 currently connected clients – but all clients are Idle (I’m the only one in the office right now). You can see, just idling, Openfire and the clients are sending packets back and forth.

Hi, many thanks for the helpful answer, okay I will considering for upgrade the OF

It was run based on CentOS actually, and I still very newbie in Linux OS

I would like to test run it on Virtual first, cause I not brave enough to modified the existing Server