Question regarding anonymous usage, web-based MUC client

Hi all! I was looking at the anonymous access features of Wildfire and was wondering if there happened to be any plans to make it possible to restrict anonymous access to specific IPs while allowing authorized access from anywhere. If this isn’'t planned, maybe could I put in a feature request?

Secondly, does anyone here know of a web-based client for groupchat/MUC that would allow users to join these rooms without having to use a full-blown Jabber client? I guess it’‘s okay if they need to register with the server, though in some cases it’‘d be preferable to allow anonymous access, but I don’'t want them to have to have a roster and all that jazz (a la JWChat and all other Jabber clients). Does such a thing exist? Thanks!

MysticOne

Hey MysticOne,

Hi all! I was looking at the anonymous access

features of Wildfire and was wondering if there

happened to be any plans to make it possible to

restrict anonymous access to specific IPs while

allowing authorized access from anywhere. If this

isn’'t planned, maybe could I put in a feature

request?

That feature is already implemented, it was issue JM-154.

Secondly, does anyone here know of a web-based client

for groupchat/MUC that would allow users to join

these rooms without having to use a full-blown Jabber

client?

The best solution for this would be to use the url=http://beta.jivesoftware.comJive Group Chat Web Client[/url]. You can download and install the beta or see it in action url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/group-chat.jsphere[/url].

Hope that helps,

Ryan

That implementation allows a range of IP addresses for all users, not just anonymous ones. I’'d like to limit anonymous access to a few IPs, but otherwise not restrict authorized users in any way.

Also, I downloaded the groupchat client, but is the license still good? It says it expired in September 2005. Also, I’‘m assuming it requires tomcat or resin to work, right? There aren’'t any instructions with it that I see. Thanks!

MysticOne

That implementation allows a range of IP addresses

for all users, not just anonymous ones. I’'d like

to limit anonymous access to a few IPs, but otherwise

not restrict authorized users in any way.

Ah, I see. Sorry, I misread your original request. I’'ve filed this request as JM-494.

Also, I downloaded the groupchat client, but is the

license still good? It says it expired in September

1. Also, I’'m assuming it requires tomcat or resin

to work, right? There aren’'t any instructions with

it that I see. Thanks!

I just checked the license and it appears to still be good. There is a readme.html file contained in the download that givers general directions on how to deploy the application which does require an “application server which supports the Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2 specifications”, I just tried it with Tomcat 5.5.12 and it worked fine.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Okay, I got it all working! It is still kinda buggy, though, but a very nice client. Do you have any idea if it’‘s still being worked, how much it’‘d cost when it’'s finished, etc? I hope they decide to release it as open source too. Thanks again!