Questions about room config

Hi, i just want to know how is the usual way to add members to a room. If i invite someone to the room, do they become members then?

What does “Only login with registered nickname” mean? does it mean that once the nick is registered by a person, only that person can use it?

(i could not find a way to register a nick, im using Neos and Exodus)

Hope that someone can give some hints…

Hi,

if you configure the room you can specify room admins, owners and members (With Spark 1.1.4 I can’'t specify members - a Members-Only room becomes a little bit useless).

I didn’‘t read XEP-0045 but I don’'t expect that an invitation makes a users to a member.

“Only login with registered nickname” a good question, probably for Gato. I never heard of “x-muc#roomconfig_reservednick”.

LG

Hey Jorgen,

When using a members-only room Wildfire will add the invitee to the list of room members. If the invitee rejects the invitation then the user will be removed from the members list.

What does “Only login with registered nickname” mean? does it mean that once the nick is registered by a person, only that person can use it?

From the specification: “If a user has registered with a room, the room MAY choose to restrict the user to use of the registered nickname only in that room.”

Regards,

– Gato

dombiak_gaston wrote:

From the specification: “If a user has registered with a room, the room MAY choose to restrict the user to use of the registered nickname only in that room.”

I dont think i get this… If i create room on my wildfire server and use the “Only login with registered nickname” option, only people that registered their nickname with the room can enter it?

Still, with this option enabled, it seems that anyone can enter the room…

Hey Jorgen,

Sorry for the confusion. The “Only login with registered nickname” means that registered users will have to use their own nickname and not other nickname but unregistered users will still be able to join the room with any nickname. So if you configure your room as members-only and check the “Only login with registered nickname” then only registered users will be able to join the room and they must use their registered nickname.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

– Gato

dombiak_gaston wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. The “Only login with registered nickname” means that registered users will have to use their own nickname and not other nickname but unregistered users will still be able to join the room with any nickname. So if you configure your room as members-only and check the “Only login with registered nickname” then only registered users will be able to join the room and they must use their registered nickname.

But how do a user register a nickname?

When a user registers with a room he need to fill out a form. That form includes the desired nickname.

Regards,

– Gato

anyway, not meny windows clients seems to be able to display that form… (i cant find one)

When we implemented MUC a long time ago I used Exodus to test that feature. Exodus was offering a registration window with many fields.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

– Gato

I have tryed With Exodus, the register button/rightclick menu piont is just grey…

But thanks for your help anyway…

Is it possible to prevent “invited” users to a member-only room from permanently becoming members either by default or (preferably) an option?

We have groups that are for management purposes only and the management staff might want to invite a user for a one-time chat, and when the user leaves they must be invited again before re-entering rather than then having permanent access.

This would be ideal for us. We don’'t want to achieve this with passwords.