Random Spark problems on Windows 7

Has anyone else seen these problems with the Spark client on Windows 7 (64bit)

After logging in:

The user might or might not see the Contacts and Conferences tabs underneath the user list.

The user might or might not see the option to “Remove from roster” and/or “Remove user” when right-clicking a contact.

The user may or may not be able to search for other people. When it fails it gives an error “Unable to find service”

In every case, these work in XP and Linux. As well as WIndows 7 after stopping and starting the Spark client a couple times.

This is a little embarrasing to push out to end users when it is so buggy… If we can’t resolve this we will need to use a different client.

Thanks

Bob

We use Spark on windows 7 64 bit and it works just fine. I suspect there’s something local going on that is causing this problem… user permissions, system settings, broken installation of Spark, corrupt user profile in %APPDATA%/Spark, etc.

Try unisntalling Spark fully, remove the Spark directory from %APPDATA%, do a fresh install, and see what happens.

You can also try a nightly build and see if this resolves your problem: http://www.igniterealtime.org/builds/spark/dailybuilds/spark_2_7_0_653.exe

I working on the assumption that it is a rights issue. I have a couple test users launching the application by right-click - Run as Administrator to test this out.

So far the results are promising, but I’ll update this discussing as I get more data.

The problem is of course that this is not a solution (if it is indeed the problem) but rather just points my towards UAC and windows permissions as the problem…

hmm… well, all i can say is, if it runs under administrator just fine, then you’ve got a local configuration problem that’s preventing non-privledged users from being able to run it. This wouldn’t be a Spark issue of course, but rather a Windows Domain issue (GPO, whatever…), or if you’re not in a domain, then local user permissions.

To run, Spark must create a directory under %APPDATA% for the user running Spark. This stores configurations, transcript history, and a bunch of other stuff necessary for Spark to run correctly. Perhaps your un-privledged users are locked down and unable to create new directories in %APPDATA% ?