powered by Jive Software

Real hardware requirements

Has anyone deployed Openfire with more than 1,000 users? If so, what kind of cpu and memory usage have you seen? The requirements listed at http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/openfire/resources/requirements.jsp are overly pessimistic. (384 MB RAM and 1.5 GHz as the minimum hardware recommendation?)

mparker,

Yes. Near zero, but it entirely depends on what your users are doing / how many shared rosters there are / how many buddies they have / how many s2s connections you will have. Do you have a handle on what your users will be doing?

daryl

s2s: 0 connections (for now)

buddies: don’t know, but I’ll say an average of 10 buddies

shared rosters: for the sake of discussion, 0

what are they doing: they’re all currently logged in, and all engaged in a chat with someone else. which makes 500 concurrent chat sessions, right?

mparker,

Thanks, that helps to put things into perspective. I don’t see any taxing load this would cause on your server as I handle a similiar load to this and see hardly any CPU usage (load overage never above 0.2 that I have noted) on 512mb / 2 Ghz.

daryl

thanks daryl. what is your actual memory usage out of the 512 MB that you have available?

You are welcome.

Currently, 167.83 out of 506.31 MB (33.9%). 300 connected clients at the moment. I don’t think I have seen that number over 300 MB

daryl