Repeated error in logs: Error processing file transfer proxy connection

Hello all. We are new to Wildfire. We’'ve been having the server process turn unresponsive on us after a time, so we have been looking at the logs to see if we can troubleshoot. The service returns after it is killed and restarted. There is a recurring error in the logs that happens about every 5 to 7 seconds:

2006.07.31 09:44:58 [org.jivesoftware.wildfire.filetransfer.ProxyConnectionManager$1$1.run(ProxyConnectionManager.java:108)] Error processing file transfer proxy connection
java.io.IOException: Only SOCKS5 supported
        at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.filetransfer.ProxyConnectionManager.processConnection(ProxyConnectionManager.java:136)
        at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.filetransfer.ProxyConnectionManager.access$000(ProxyConnectionManager.java:39)
        at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.filetransfer.ProxyConnectionManager$1$1.run(ProxyConnectionManager.java:105)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

This seems to be coupled with an error in the debug.log file (Ed. Note: Our IP/domain name has been replaced by 127.0.0.1/’‘domain.com’’ respectively, but are actually public addresses.):

2006.07.31 09:44:57 SSL Connect 9db0ad[SSL_NULL_WITH_NULL_NULL: Socket[addr=/127.0.0.1,port=54997,localport=5223]]
2006.07.31 09:44:58 Logging off domain.com/de2aae19 on org.jivesoftware.wildfire.net.SocketConnection@ba679e socket: 9db0ad[SSL_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5: Socket[addr=/127.0.0.1,port=54997,localport=5223]] session: org.jivesoftware.wildfire.ClientSession@1ed620 status: 1 address: domain.com/de2aae19 id: de2aae19 presence: <presence type="unavailable"/>

We have a minimal configuration in wildfire.xml. We aren’'t doing anything special except LDAP. Pretty much an out-of-the-box install. Could someone point us in the right direction to at least fix this recurring error? Once that is off the table, we can see if the server is still becoming unresponsive and look at other things. Please let me know if I can provide additional information that would be useful.

Hi,

it seems that one is connection to port 7777 and trying to use this proxy. Are you using Spark as client and trying to transfer files every 5 seconds? Or is it possible that someone tries to abuse this proxy for its transfers?

LG

That is what I am hoping to determine. Would a Spark client automatically be trying to transfer a file every five seconds by default?

Could anyone offer advice here? What additional information could I provide to point someone in the right direction?

Thanks,

djs

This problem is still occurring, we are in desperate need of help.

Hi Daniel,

This may not sound like a solution to a real problem. Sorry if it’‘s completely off track. I’'m wondering if the error stops repeating itself if you enter domain.com in your /etc/hosts. BTW, are you running plugins like Asterisks-IM?

Which clients are you using? Someone is connecting to your proxy every 5 to 7 seconds… I would put ethereal on the job and see if you can’'t diagnose who is connecting so frequently.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi,

so you may want to disable the file transfer proxy. This should at least help to get Wildfire stable.

@ Alex: I wonder why the IP address of the server and not the one of the client is logged. It should help to log the IP address of every connectiong client, especially if an error does occur. Do you want to create an issue for this?

LG

Thanks LG. I turned off file transfer proxy and the error messages seem to have stopped. I will monitor my server uptime to see if that solved my stability problem. Words aren’'t enough to describe how thankful I am for your advice.

djs

Hi,

a further Wildfire version may log the IP addresses of all connecting clients so one can track this and similar issues. So one will be able to identify clients which cause trouble.

LG