Required features

Hello,

I’m not a complete newbie for Openfire/Spark, as near a year ago or so i did installation of both OF/SW for my business project and now i have near 50 users using this platform day by day and actually this messaging system now a business-critical thing for them.

For this installation I did some customization for the sparkWeb which was available a year ago and enabled there a multichat and offline messaging and file transfer via webservice, also i did special customization around groups and contact lists as i had a specific requirement that only administrator can manage everyone’s contact lists.

However even with all these customizations i’m still facing some problems which i want to describe here and ask if they already solved in newer versions of SparkWeb

• i18n support - in current installation i see that not all browsers support exchange of messages with non-ascii characters. i don’t know how this could be but for instance clients in IE and Chrome cant even change their language from english to russian and type in some messages. Users of firefox can type messages and send, but if contact is offline, then instead of readable message once it will go online it will recieve broken string like &&&&&??? instead of proper message.

-file exchange - webservice is reliable but i want to switch to exchange without server, where only final and end points are aware of data being transferred

• video/audio chat - i need video/audio chat for one-2-one and also one-2-many chats

Now my questions

1. does current version of SparkWeb support out-of-box customizations which I made (ok, i know that it will not support what i need with contacts management, but can it now support properly multi-chats and rest?)

2. does it really support i18n and l18n completely - even for offline messages ( i think this not a spark but adobe flesh technology problem but not sure maybe there were some great achievements for this in last 12 months)

3. does sparkweb support audio/video chats now

4. peer-to-peer file transfer

Also, now, would you recommend using SparkWeb or there is better client for Openfire (web-based only, no client installation) which can support these functionality better?

appreciate your answers.

I suggest to read recent Dele’s blog posts on that topic http://community.igniterealtime.org/people/dele?view=blogposts and also check out the Red5 section of the forums http://community.igniterealtime.org/community/plugins/red5

I can answer questions 3 & 4.

The old Red5 version of SparkWeb did support audio/video, but is not compatible with the new Redfire plugin for Openfire. Work has stalled on SparkWeb/RedSpark.

For peer-to-peer file transfer, I suggest you look at RTMFP. As you can code Flex, you might be able to adapt some of the available open source P2P file transfer applications using RTMFP. If you choose this route, then look at the VideoIO project as well. It will give you a Flex video component that does audio/video with P2P RTMFP