Restarting Openfire 3.9.1 resets provider config to default

I’m using Windows 7 and a MYSQL db on my local dev machine.

We need to use a external authentication service for our users so I’ve written a custom authentication provider implementing the org.jivesoftware.openfire.auth.AuthProvider interface.

I drop all the neccessary jars in the libs folder, edit the config and everything works fine. until I restart the server then it reverts back to the default config for some reason.

Any help or pointers on this would be very much appreciated

I configure a custom auth provider in conf/openfire.xml as:

org.someone.my.custom.auth.provider

I start the openfire server and it sucks that config into the db and custom auth works fine. I can login the way I want.

This is how conf/openfire.xml looks after the server has been started and the config sucked into the ofproperty table.

Now, if I shut the server down and start it up again it will revert to the default auth provider.

Only when I check the ofproperty table my class settings for the providers looks okay but changing anything directly in the table does absolutely nothing. if I write some garble for provider.auth.className in the table and restarts the server no errors are logged indicating that it failed to load the class, it just defaults back to org.jivesoftware.openfire.auth.DefaultAuthProvider

Am I doing something terribly wrong here or is this version broken?