Retrieving avatars for IMs

Hi,

I am currently using 3.4.3 of openfire and 1.2.1a of the Gateway Plugin. When I tried to retrieve the avatar of the buddies using vcard-temp, it shows

<iq id=“vcard_278” type=“error” from=“dummy1\40hotmail.com@msn.vserver” to=“dummy2@vserver/xiff”><error code=“503” type=“cancel”><service-unavailable xmlns=“urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas” /></error></iq>

I am trying to use vcard to retreive the avatar. Am I suppose to use VCard to retrieve it or I am doing things wrongly?Jabber users will works fine.

Any advice for retrieving the avatar for other IM accounts? thanks!

Cheers,

Shunjie

http://airtalkr.com

dont know about your problem, but Daniel said we shouldnt use avatars with MSN till other version of gateway

What does the query you are using to request the avatar look like?

Hi Daniel,

This is the query I am using:

<iq to=“dummy1\40hotmail.com@msn.vserver” type=“get” id=“vcard_617”><vcard xmlns=“vcard-temp” /></iq>

I understand that the msn will have file handler problems, but since I am using gtalk/ icq gateway too, I hope to at least get others working first

Is there something wrong in the query?

Cheers,

Shunjie

There’s nothing wrong with your query. =)

So, what does that leave… hrm.

1. Did you log into the gateway from the requesting account? (you must be logged into the service to request avatars)

2. Is the person you are requesting an avatar for in your contact list?

3. service-unavailable … that is typically what happens when #1 is the case. (you aren’t logged into the transport)

Usually if you enable debug logging in the admin console of Openfire and look at the debug logs when you are trying to make this request you’ll see exactly what’s happening and why it got rejected. =)

Hi Daniel,

This is the log I am viewing on the Debug log:

2007.12.29 23:15:42 Received iq packet:

Is there some server configuration I am missing?

Cheers,

Shunjie

Hi Daniel,

This is the log I am viewing on the Debug log:

2007.12.29 23:15:42 Received iq packet: <iq to=“dummy1\40hotmail.com@msn.vserver” type=“get” id=“vcard_33” from=“shunjie@vserver/xiff”><vcard xmlns=“vcard-temp”/></iq>

2007.12.29 23:15:42 Unable to handle iq request: vcard-temp

2007.12.29 23:15:42 msn: Sending packet: <iq type=“error” id=“vcard_33” from=“dummy1\40hotmail.com@msn.vserver” to=“shunjie@vserver/xiff”><error code=“503” type=“cancel”><service-unavailable xmlns=“urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas”/></error></iq>

Is there some server configuration I am missing?

Cheers,

Shunjie

Wait… what version of the IM Gateway plugin are you running?? Avatars are new as of 1.2.0.

Hi Daniel,

Hmm, I am using the latest one, 1.2.1a.

I do have the enable get avatar checkbox too in the settings, so it should be the correct one.

Alternatively maybe I do a fresh install on staging server to see if I am still getting that. It might be configuration issue? As I just updated the plugin from previous one.

Oh! I see it now! It should be vCard not vcard =)

Ops! Its working now. Stupid me! Thanks a lot Daniel.