Retrieving User details from ICQ/MSN transports

Hey guys,

I’'ve just installed this amazing jabber server and installed gateway plugin. I enabled few transports and they work pretty good so far, but there was one problem. For example when I try to get user info (I am using client PSI) , to retrieve userinfo, I get an error “Unable to retrieve user info for this contact” and in XML console I get this:

Do you have an idea why’‘s that, and if it’'s possible to fix?

Thanks,

Manca

Message was edited by: manca

This functionality is actually not implemented yet, see GATE-42.

Do you have some ballpark time figure when this feature will be implemented? I pretty much need this one as my ICQ contacts relay on jabber transports… i don’'t like using trillian, not to mention standard ICQ client…

Please implement this feature asap. Aslo you might want to check JIT, the most famous icq transport for jabber, i think you can get something from it

Thanks,

Manca

I have no timeframe for it. I’'ve already implemented the functionality in PyICQt and PyAIMt but it is not a priority over other functionality right now.

Kinda surprised to hear folk are still using JIT. There’'s a constant barrage of folk migrating from JIT to PyICQt.

It’'d be great if you could implement features from PyICQ to this one.

Also another question related to migrating from other servers. For example i have registered jit on the other server and now I want my complete rooster to import here in WildFire. How do I do it? I can obtain rooster’'s xml file, by using XML console and on connect to that other server just fetch the info, but what then? How can I make my icq contacts from jit work here too?

Regards…

Go vote for the issue listed above. ;D (if it’‘s popular enough I might bump up it’'s priority)

As for migrating from JIT, “in theory”, JIT has been storing all of your contacts on the actual ICQ servers… unfortunately, occasionally, JIT will store some local. I have no idea why it does this but basically, the plugin only interacts with your real server side roster and it will pull down any information from said roster. If any contacts were stored locally, they will need to be readded. Basically there’‘s no real “migration” step as the plugin gets to work directly with your XMPP roster and doesn’‘t have to rely on “guesswork” as to what’‘s actually in your XMPP roster. (hopefully in the future PyICQt, JIT, etc will all be able to benefit from some more thorough control over users’’ rosters)

Yep, there are definitely some contacts stored locally. Actually when I say locally I don’‘t mean on my box, but rather on server’‘s side. The only problem is that they definitely don’‘t show up in actual ICQ roster (for example when i connect to icq using icq client, i can some contacts, but not all…I really know why’'s that). My contacts list looks like:

you get an idea. That’'s what I fetched using XML console in PSI, a return from the server.

Do you know any “fast” way of adding all those ‘‘weird’’ stored locally contacts to icq? I have around 850 icq contacts and i definitely am not going to add them manually again

Please help me out!

Manca

manca wrote:

Yep, there are definitely some contacts stored locally. Actually when I say locally I don’‘t mean on my box, but rather on server’‘s side. The only problem is that they definitely don’‘t show up in actual ICQ roster (for example when i connect to icq using icq client, i can some contacts, but not all…I really know why’'s that). My contacts list looks like:

ICQ Group

ICQ Group

ICQ Group

you get an idea. That’'s what I fetched using XML console in PSI, a return from the server.

Do you know any “fast” way of adding all those ‘‘weird’’ stored locally contacts to icq? I have around 850 icq contacts and i definitely am not going to add them manually again

Holy crap, 850?? Hell I’'ll be interested to see how well things perform with that number of contacts! =) Do let me know if the plugin seems extremely slow.

Unnnfortunately, I don’'t really have a good suggestion of how to import all of those easily. I mean … maybe you could write a quick perl script or something to write out all of the xml for subscribing … like:

should do it, one for each of the contacts. You could probably paste that into your Psi xml console window or something. If you could use Net::Jabber and actually log yourself in and fire the commands. Either way, it’'s definitely ugly territory.

I created GATE-139 to remind me to investigate a possible import functionality built into the transport, but that isn’'t something that would be happening soon.

I’'ve found one plugin that do exactly that, importing contacts from other servers. But as I can see it only works for jabber contacts, not everything there, although icq/msn contacts are also kinda jabber, because their jid is: ICQ.UIN@jit.server.com. Can you help me to create a script that would import all my jit contacts to wildfire server and actually IM Gateway plugin. What is the format for registering new ICQ contacts (adding) in your plugin?

Manca

There isn’‘t really a “format”. You would have to issue real XMPP commands to add the ICQ users. I don’'t really have time to help with the script but hopefully someone else on the board does?

Okay, I hope someone will help me out with this, as it’'s very very important to me!

Also, when i add new icq contact to my list, it doesn’‘t seem to come online…why’'s that?

manca wrote:

Also, when i add new icq contact to my list, it doesn’‘t seem to come online…why’'s that?

If I were to make a wild guess, I would say it’‘s because I haven’‘t implemented the ICQ “authorization” stuff. =) (basically ICQ has an extra step that may or may not be required depending on the user on the other end… you ask for auth and then they accept and then you can add them to your buddy list) It’'s mentioned in GATE-127

there are so many USEFUL and definitely demanding features to be implemented in this gateway…to make it powerful

I hope you’'ll implement em jade, very soon :stuck_out_tongue:

now, anyone wanna help me with my transfer?

;D Yup, and I welcome any folk who are willing to write code and submit me patches!

okay bump for the crew…i need this thing done very fast!

What crew? It’'s basically just me, and I am doing it in my free time =)

hey jade…

could you please help me out with this bro! I really need it.

Feel free to jabber’'d me: manca pirotcity.com so we can discuss, please.

Thanks!