Returning Control from a PacketListener

Here’'s my issue:

I’‘ve created a PacketListener to handle all presence.SUBSCRIBE messages in an automated fashion. The Packet filter will reject any packets that aren’'t of the appropriate type. Is there any way, after the packet has been rejected to hand control back to the PacketReader? What currently happens is that the client throws an XMPPException after the packet is rejected…

Any Ideas?

Why do you throw an XMPPException instead of just ignoring the packets you don’'t want to consume?

Regards,

Matt

Well, that’‘s the thing. I’‘m not throwing that exception anywhere… I’‘ve attached some code that shows what I’'m seeing:

//Main App relevant section
    XMPPConnection conn = new XMPPConnection(host);
    conn.login(/** a username has been snipped */,/**so has a password **/);
    PresencePacketCollector coll = new PresencePacketCollector(conn);
    conn.addPacketListener(coll, new SubscribePacketFilter()); //Packet Filter
public class SubscribePacketFilter implements PacketFilter {
  public SubscribePacketFilter() {
  }
  public boolean accept(Packet packet) {
    if(packet instanceof Presence){
      Presence P = (Presence) packet;
      if( Presence.Type.SUBSCRIBE.toString().equalsIgnoreCase(P.getType().toString())){
        return true;
      }
    }
    return false;
  }
} //Packet Listener
public class PresencePacketCollector implements PacketListener {
  XMPPConnection con = null;
  public PresencePacketCollector(XMPPConnection con) {
    this.con = con;
  }   /**
   * Processes the packet and handles presence subscribe requests
   * @param packet
   */
  public void processPacket(Packet packet) {
    if( packet instanceof Presence){
     Presence p = (Presence) packet;
     if(Presence.Type.SUBSCRIBE.toString().equalsIgnoreCase(p.getType().toString())){
       Presence res = new Presence(Presence.Type.SUBSCRIBED);
       res.setTo(p.getFrom());
       con.sendPacket(res);
     }
    }
  }
}

Oh, I forgot the exception.

org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException: No response from server.

at org.jivesoftware.smack.GroupChat.join(GroupChat.java:122)

at com.cotelligent.jabber.ConfLogger.log(ConfLogger.java:38)

at com.cotelligent.jabber.ConfLogger.main(ConfLogger.java:17)

The issue here is that if I comment out the packet listener part, it connects to the server just fine, ie, no other changes are made. In addition, if it doesn’‘t receive a presence packet, it doesn’'t throw the exception.

(So if I have the client log in, and nothing else’'s on the server it will function normally, or if nothing on the server is subscribed to that user. If I get a subscription update, it will throw the error every time.)

I guess I’‘m not quite clear on what error you’‘re running into. Can you provide a bit more detail? BTW, I edited your message to add tags (without the spaces). It’'s a much better way to paste in code.

Regards,

Matt

well, what seems to happen is that if I receive a Presence Packet and decide not to process it it returns to the proper thread, but the next call (which is to join a conference) throws the XMPP exception

org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException: No response from server.
     at org.jivesoftware.smack.GroupChat.join(GroupChat.java:122)
     at com.cotelligent.jabber.ConfLogger.log(ConfLogger.java:38)
     at com.cotelligent.jabber.ConfLogger.main(ConfLogger.java:17)
Nested Exception: Hit uncaught exception java.lang.NullPointerException

and terminates.

I know that I connected just fine, since I received the presence packet, but don’'t understand why it is throwing the exception.

I’'m willing to bundle the code and send it to you, if that would make it any easier to figure out.

Oh, as a side note, there’‘s an error the XMPPException class. Here’'s the trace

Hit uncaught exception java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException.printStackTrace(XMPPException.java:95)
     at java.lang.Throwable.printStackTrace(Throwable.java:451)
     at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException.printStackTrace(XMPPException.java:87)
     at com.cotelligent.jabber.ConfLogger.main(ConfLogger.java:20)

Ok, I seem to have beaten that one, I don’‘t know WHAT I did, but It’‘s not happening now. Instead, I’'m getting this:

Getting Connection...Done.
Logging in...Done.
Setting Packet Listener & Filter...Done.
Broadcasting Presence...Done.
$PresencePacketFilter -> Rejecting Packet...
groupchat
com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement@177b3cd: insert into log values(''5b4U810'',''httpclient@conference.sdfbsd'',''groupchat'',null,''logger has become available'', now())
FOUND OTHER PRESENCE TYPE: subscribe
$PresencePacketFilter -> Accepting Presence Packet...
Sending Subscribed Response.
java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.jivesoftware.smack.filter.FromContainsFilter.accept(FromContainsFilter.java:79)
     at org.jivesoftware.smack.filter.AndFilter.accept(AndFilter.java:83)
     at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketCollector.processPacket(PacketCollector.java:195)
     at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.processPacket(PacketReader.java:311)
     at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.parsePackets(PacketReader.java:250)
     at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.access$000(PacketReader.java:73)
     at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader$1.run(PacketReader.java:98)$PresencePacketFilter -> Rejecting Packet...

All of these errors seem to happen in/around my Listener/Filter… I’‘m wondering if I implemented it correctly, or if it’'s really the cause of these problems.

Oh, as a side note, there’'s an error the

XMPPException class.

I’'ve now fixed this bug.

Thanks,

Matt

Ok, I seem to have beaten that one, I don’'t know WHAT

I did, but It’‘s not happening now. Instead, I’'m

getting this:

I think this is a bug in the FromContainsFilter. Basically, it’‘s not checking to make sure the packet from field isn’‘t null. I’'ve now fixed this bug as well.

Regards,

Matt