RFC 9266: Channel Bindings for TLS 1.3 support

Hello Ignite Realtime team,

A good news, it is official, a new RFC has been released!

It is used by SCRAM-SHA-*-PLUS variants specified in RFC6120: Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Core:

Can you add the support of RFC 9266: Channel Bindings for TLS 1.3 in Openfire, Smack, Spark?

Little details, to know easily:

• tls-unique for TLS =< 1.2
  • tls-exporter for TLS = 1.3

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

TLS is a little beyond my understanding. Every time I learn it, it leaks out of my head.

Have you had a read? How much work is involved in these changes, do you think?

What’s the value to the operator and the user? (e.g. if this is “more secure”, how?)

@danc: Thanks for your answer!

Currently, for example, you can see the code which supports the new RFC9266 (TLS = 1.3).

Mellium SASL by the author of the RFC9266:

Jackal IM has been updated:

Prosody IM has been updated:

Miranda NG has been updated:

GNU SASL (GSASL) has been updated:

glib/glib-networking has been updated, it was compatible with draft before:

indimail-mta has been updated:

Note that there is a big list with previous RFC5929 (TLS =< 1.2), ejabberd, Djabberd, Metronome IM, MongooseIM, Tigase XMPP Server, Coy IM, Tigase JaXMPP, Tigase TTS-NG, Tigase Stork IM / Tigase Android Messenger, Gajim (nbxmpp), Wocky, pyxmpp2, xmpp-rs, Ubiety.Scram.Core/Ubiety.Xmpp.Core, cyrus-sasl/cyrus-imapd, Exim, mpop/msmtp, Racket SASL, aiosasl, PostgreSQL, ba0f3/scram.nim, tlocke/scramp, pwithnall/libscram, MailKit, MimeKit, Mutt, NeoMutt, Postfix, WildFly Elytron, …

A document here: How to securely authenticate with SCRAM in Postgres 13 - Microsoft Tech Community

How much work is involved in these changes, do you think?

What’s the value to the operator and the user? (e.g. if this is “more secure”, how?)

Thanks for your reply, but without answers to these questions, I’d be taking on an unknown amount of unpaid work that has an unknown value, just because “lots of other people did it”.

1 Like

Is this not handled by the JVM? I have BOSH running on TLS 1.3 using OpenJDK 1.8 and I am not seeing any issues. I can’t speak for native XMPP connections, but I would expect that also would use the JVM TLS implementation.

It is explained here: