Rpm vs .tar.gz installation

Hi,

I want to install openfire on VPS with centOS. Do I need anything else to be install (JBoss, Tomcat…)?

What is the difference between the rpm and .tar.gz installations? Which one is better?

I`m thinking about eapps VPS - 20$/m with

• JDK-1.5 JRE-1.6

• memory - 288MB

• No J2EE/EJB/EJB 3 (JBoss) - Do I need it? I can get it with the 30$ plan

Does anyone familiar with them?

What is JDK, JRE, J2EE, EJB…?

Thanks

What is the difference between the rpm and .tar.gz installations? Which one is better?

The RPM package includes Java, so you don’t need to install it. If you want to install Openfire you can simply type

rpm -ihv openfire-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm

The .tar.gz is a little bit more complicated. The advantages of the .tar.gz are:

• smaller package

• you can use an already installed Java, even a newer Version for some security fixes.

• update Openfire with a extreme short downtime. You can calmly prepare the new openfire version in another directory. The shutdown openfire, rename directories and start Openfire again. Takes just 5 seconds or so…

If you just want to run Openfire, you will need a JRE (Java Runtime Environment). Its shipped with the Openfire RPM. If you use the .tar.gz you have to install it yourself.

If you want to develop / compile Java Applications you will need the JDK (Java Development Kit).

Coolcat

Message was edited by: Coolcat

Thank you for your answer.

rpm sound simpler but if I already have JRE installed on my VPS can I use the rpm?

Won`t there be a conflict between two installation of JRE?

Will it be a waste of resources to install the rpm on a system with JRE already installed?

Thanks

Won`t there be a conflict between two installation of JRE?

No.

Will it be a waste of resources to install the rpm on a system with JRE already installed?

Yes. You could change in the scripts which JRE should be used, but that would be the same as using the .tar.gz