Search Plugin 1.0.5 Released

Hi jfroehlich,

You asked for it, so here it is. I’‘ve attached some screen shots showing the search plugin with your suggestion of using checkboxes rather than multiple search fields. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make the instructions clearer or a better label for the search field I’'d love to hear them.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

wow, nice work. my idea was about align the checkboxes horizontaly under the search field so they would be a secondary step to use for the user (to underline that its just an option) but it looks much better in PSI like this.

It seems like the clients support data forms like the very first web browsers. Is it because this is not fully implemented, or because the proposal defines the layout of the widgets just a bit fluffy?

Hi jfroehlich,

Your comparison between dataforms and early web browsers is a good one. I can specify the order of the fields but I don’‘t have any control over their horizontal alignment or in the case of the checkboxes, which side of the label they’'re suppose to be on.

-Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I took a look at the Data Forms and XForms poposals. You can read about my thoughts and ideas here if you like.

Hi Ryang, thanks a lot for your plugin. I started using it here at work and it works great

Would it be difficult to have an option in the admin console, under search properties, to have two search “modes”? One with checkboxes (advanced) and another one without the checkboxes searching inside all three fields and automatically putting * in front and after the query (newbie mode or something)?

The later option is how search is handled inside outlook2003, which users are usually used to…

best regards!

Hi Ryang, thanks a lot for your plugin. I started

using it here at work and it works great

Glad to hear it.

Would it be difficult to have an option in the admin

console, under search properties, to have two search

“modes”? One with checkboxes (advanced) and another

one without the checkboxes searching inside all three

fields and automatically putting * in front and after

the query (newbie mode or something)?

Are you talking about having the advanced/basic option on the client side, controlled via the admin console? As for the *, it’'s a dirty little secret that a wildcard search is actually done with or without that character. I should probably remove the part about the wildcards in the instructions.

Thanks,

Ryan