Search Plugin 1.0.5 Released

Hi All,

I just wanted to make everyone aware of the latest version of the search plugin, 1.0.5 is available for url=http://www.jivesoftware.org/messenger/plugins.jspdownload[/url]. If you’'re using an older version I would strongly encourage you to upgrade. There have been a number of enhancements since the 1.0.2 release including bug fixes for Psi and Exodus, as well as adding support for JAJC and Miranda (thanks to Baron Ng).

Thanks,

Ryan

maybe new plugins’’ releases should be announced in News section too?:slight_smile:

UPD:and of course many thanx Ryang for your work;)

maybe new plugins’’ releases should be announced in

News section too?:slight_smile:

Good idea. I’'ll make such announcements in the future.

Thanks,

Matt

I downloaded this and it is working fine but in the admin consel it is saying version 1.4. Is that right?

Kevin

What I’'d really like to see is a readme or changelog or similar which is separately available from the plugins page.

I’'m assuming that all I need to do to install the new version over the old version is drop it into the plugins directory?

thanks!

I downloaded this and it is working fine but in the

admin consel it is saying version 1.4. Is that

right?

No, it should say 1.0.5. Did you have 1.0.4 installed prior to 1.0.5?

Thanks,

Ryan

What I’'d really like to see is a readme or changelog

or similar which is separately available from the

plugins page.

That would be a good idea. There is a change log in the documentation directory, but that’'s only available if you download the source.

I’'m assuming that all I need to do to install the new

version over the old version is drop it into the

plugins directory?

I’'d recommend that you delete the existing version via the plugins admin page before deploying the new version, this way Messenger will be able to unload on the resources the plugin maybe using properly.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Have you receive my modified version? I have send it to you some days before. Pls give me some reply, ok?

Yours, zyh

Hi zyh,

Sorry for the delay. For some reason my mail program decided that your message was spam. Check your email, you should have a response.

Thanks,

Ryan

I think I had 1.0.2 installed before. I deleted in and then put 1.0.5 in the plugins directory.

Kevin

Hve you deleted it with Admin Console? I had no problem with “upgrading” to 1.0.5 version, just delete it in Admin Console, then copy new search.jar to plugins directory.

Hi Ryan,

I’'m new using Jive Messenger.

How to use that search plugin?

I’'ve already download it and put it in the plugin dir

Thanks

~pap

try searching in your client, you’'ll see the search.<server_name> service there

cool, it works! thanks a lot Ryan!

I upgraded it on our students server already.

But wouldn’'t it be much more simple from a user kind of view if there would be just one single input field (and maybe some checkboxes to specify the query)?

I put a nickname into the name field because I thougth it was his real name but got nothing.

I guess some less technical people like my mother wouldn’'t do a second search because they got no response.

Hi jfroehlich,

cool, it works! thanks a lot Ryan!

I upgraded it on our students server already.

Great to hear that it’'s working well for you.

But wouldn’'t it be much more simple from a user kind

of view if there would be just one single input field

(and maybe some checkboxes to specify the query)?

I guess it would depends on what someone considers to be more simple. Part of the issue is that in order for someone to register an account on Messenger all that is required is a username, name and email are optional. As an example, if I’‘m looking for my friend “Joe Smith” and in the name search field I try entering “joe”, “smith” or even just “j” I won’‘t find him if his account was setup without a name, even if checkboxes were available. But, your point is well taken. A simple fix might be to expand the search instructions to include a note on what a user should do if they don’‘t find the person they’'re looking for.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Ryan,

Would it violate JEP 55 to have a single field with checkboxes? Having all the checkboxes checked by default would be a pretty decent default UI – it would mean search everything using my search term so would have a better chance of finding a result. The UserProvider implementations definitely support searching multiple fields at once, so it should be possible.

-Matt

Hi Matt,

Yeah, the more I thought about it after my last post the checkbox idea seems like it could be a good way to go. JEP-55 is very flexible when it comes to using data forms for searches and as you pointed out the UserProvider implementations provide the needed functionality so it’‘s just a matter of wiring everything together. I’'ll mock up a sample and post a screen shot or two in a couple of days (or maybe sooner if we really do get a foot of snow by tomorrow evening like the local weather people are predicting ).

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi,

I’'m using GAIM on the client side.

I couldn’'t find it.

What client software should be used ?

Thanks

~pap

As far as I know gaim doesn’'t support search for jabber at the moment.

But you could try psi, Exodus, and Pandion (i guess).

Hi pap,

Yes, jfroehlich is correct, GAIM does not support user searches. Currently the search plugin is known to work with psi, exodus, jajc and miranda; other clients that support Jabber search, formally known as JEP-0055, should works as well. Pandion will be supported with next release of Messenger.

Hope that helps,

Ryan