Search plugin

Hello,

I am new to Wildfire, perhaps this is simple but, why can I not see the search service in wildifre when I browse

using disco#info?

Thanks

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

it should show up when you browse disco#items - I have anyhow no idea about disco#info.

LG

Hi Stefan,

Just out of curiosity, what client are you using?

Thanks,

Ryan

I am using no client, I am writing one.

As well, I have noticed that when searching, the field is case sensitive. Is there a reason for this or or there anyway around ir?

Thnks

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

No, there is currently not a way around the case sensitivity issue, although changing the plugin to make it case insensitive would be a fairly trivial. JEP-0055 doesn’‘t really address the issue of case sensitivity so I’'m not really sure what the standard or correct way of handling searches is. Have you seen any documentation that would clarify the issue?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Probably the best way to handle it is to have case insensitivity, since for a search, nothing is really gained in having case sensitivity and much is actually lost (ie confusion for the user in not getting results they expect).

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Seems like I might have misunderstood you. The searches themselves are case-insensitive, I thought you were referring to the search field data that is exchanged between the client and the server, i.e.:

What sort of user store are you using on the backend of Wildfire?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi again,

When I submit a search (non-forms non-extended) such as (name field search case sensitivity):

Is due to the implementation of the search plugin or as you inferred the database backend. Currently I am running the integrated DB (just for testing purposes)

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I wasn’‘t inferring anything, I had just hadn’‘t rememberd that the searching was case-sensitive, I guess it’‘s been awhile since I’‘ve been in the seach code. But, you’‘re right, the searches do appear to be upper-case sensitive; the search plugin actually acts as a sort of interface between the client that sends requests and Wildfire that does the actual searching. It looks like it converting all the search criteria to lowercase prior to searching might resolve this issue. I’'ll do some testing and report back what I find.

Thanks,

Ryan