Sending of encrypted message and encrypted audio video call with smack 4.4.0

Hello,
i am trying to use smack 4.4.0 with android. For now, here is what I can do:
-connect to the server
-authenticate me and send an unencrypted message

My server is ejabberd.

Now I want to use OMEMO to encrypt the messages. I see there is OpenGPG. I don’t know which is more effective, so I took OMEMO.
But I can’t send an encrypted message.
I’ve been looking for 4 days and trying to understand. Now I need help.
Here is the tutorial I followed: https://github.com/igniterealtime/Smack/blob/master/documentation/extensions/omemo.md

I’m desperate, really desperate.
Here are the dependencies I am using in android studio:

implementation ‘org.igniterealtime.smack: smack-sasl-provided: 4.4.0’
implementation ‘org.igniterealtime.smack: smack-resolver-dnsjava: 4.4.0’
implementation ‘org.igniterealtime.smack: smack-openpgp: 4.4.0’
implementation ‘org.igniterealtime.smack: smack-android: 4.4.0’
implementation ‘org.igniterealtime.smack: smack-im: 4.4.0’
implementation ‘org.igniterealtime.smack: smack-xmlparser-xpp3: 4.4.0’
// implementation ‘org.igniterealtime.smack: smack-jingle-old: 4.4.0’
/ * testImplementation ‘junit: junit: 4.13.2’
androidTestImplementation ‘androidx.test.ext: junit: 1.1.2’
androidTestImplementation ‘androidx.test.espresso: espresso-core: 3.3.0’ * /

implementation 'org.igniterealtime.smack: smack-tcp: 4.4.0'
implementation 'org.igniterealtime.smack: smack-android-extensions: 4.4.0'
implementation 'org.igniterealtime.smack: smack-omemo-signal: 4.4.0'

In the tutorial I followed in https://github.com/igniterealtime/Smack/blob/master/documentation/extensions/omemo.md, there is a Message message = encrypted.asMessage (contactsJid) instruction; but I can’t find the asMessage method in OmemoMessage.sent, so I don’t know what to do

Help me with an example or a tutorial for the smack.4.4.0 version or if I need to change dependencies in my build.gradle

Sincerely I hope a lot on you

PS: After that I want to implement the audio and video call: if I have sources or tutorials at the same time, I would be satisfied.

Thanks thanks

In Case you are interested in OpenPGP then there is thread I started and have sample code. I will try to find out later but search should help you on that. As of general Encryption with Smack, I have found OMEMO license as not friendly to closed source software. OpenPGP (OX IM) is free but does not yet support Group chats. So you can only encrypt On-on-One messages only!

Thank you for responding already. I try openPgp later, for now I wanted to contribute new information.
In DEBUG mode, I noticed a negative bundle:

<iq to='user@domain.net 'id =' DULES-12 'type =' get '>
       <query xmlns = 'http: //jabber.org/protocol/disco#info' node = 'eu.siacs.conversations.axolotl.**bundles:-1**'>
       </query>
     </iq>

It’s normal?
If not, how to solve this.
In fact I use an android emulator and a huawei phone for my tests
I confirm that the bundle: -1 comes from the huawei, not from the emulator, because when I display the device of each one, for the huawei I have this:
user@domain.net:-1
and that of the emulator is:
user2@domain.net:21137227720
Isn’t that the problem?
Here is the error I get:
user2@domain.net:21137227720 cannot establish session with user@domain.net:-1 because their bundle could not be fetched.

For the Bundle it’s ok (I don’t know how I did it or it’s gone by itself)
But the following error still persists:

user2@domain.net: 21137227720 cannot establish session with user@domain.net: -1 because their bundle could not be fetched.

“device” is the device of the contact that I extract via

jid = JidCreate.entityBareFrom ("user@domain.net/Smack");
                    omemoManager.requestDeviceListUpdateFor (jid);
                    Set <OmemoDevice> contactDevices = omemoManager.getDevicesOf (jid);                    
                    for (OmemoDevice device: contactDevices) {                        
                        // omemoManager = OmemoManager.getInstanceFor (connectXMPP, dev.getDeviceId ());
                        //omemoManager.rebuildSessionWith(dev);
                        OmemoFingerprint fingerprint = omemoManager.getFingerprint (device);
                        omemoManager.trustOmemoIdentity (device, fingerprint);
                        //break;
                    }

And the line that causes this is:

OmemoFingerprint fingerprint = omemoManager.getFingerprint (device);

PS: Can I get the article on openPGP with smack SVP?

Hm, a the -1 as bundle ID looks very wrong. I guess something went wrong when initalizing the OmemoManager.

I can always recommend users to take a look at the integration tests to understand how to use the API: https://github.com/igniterealtime/Smack/tree/master/smack-integration-test/src/main/java/org/jivesoftware/smackx/omemo

There is some DSL (AbstractTwoUsersOmemoTest, OmemoSetupHelper) to make the testing easier, but you should be able to understand the requirements from looking at the tests.

1 Like

thank you very much
With OpenPGP it’s easier.
Just one question: can I continue with openPgp safely for reliable secure communication? really reliable?
Could I make audio and video calls with OpenPGP?
If so I will rather use OpenPGP and leave OMEMo for later

In any case, thank you for the link which helped me a lot, in one evening I was able to understand and implement the concept.

I can send an encrypted message via OpenPgP.

If you reassure me that I can use this safely then I’ll go for it. Also what are the limits compared to OMEMO?

Now how to make audio and video calls?

This topic was automatically closed 62 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.