Serious Openfire issues

Hi all, I have been reading through threads for the last 3 days now and I have yet to solve my probelm so I really hope someone can shed some light on my issue.

I am running openfire on our domain controller with an embedded db, running spark 2.6.3 I believe. I had to change our Domain admin password and I believe that is where the issue started, I could be wrong. But now, no one can log into spark without getting the (invalid username or password or server is unreachable.

On the server when I try to launch Openfire it says database setup or configuration error blah blah blah. I will attach the error. I just saw how if Openfire is running as a service, which mine is. You can’t run both at the same time. I stopped the service and tried to run the application and still won’t work.

I saw how you can change the .xml file to true and go back through the setup process. WHICH TAKES FOR DAMN EVER! I thought I finally had it figured out yesterday and got through the whole setup stage and was finishing yesterday as I left. I came in this morning thinking it would be better and when I went to launch it tried to bring me right back into the setup process. I checked the .xml file and setup was true, so I closed it and reopened and it gave me the admin logon screen but the basic application will not work.

I’ve seen how people have delete the openfire.lck file and that has fixed the problem but as soon as I click on the .lck file it keeps going away then coming back. It won’t let me delete it because it says its in use by something else. I have looked for anything Java running and see nothing at all… I have exhausted ALL efforts trying to fix this thing and I am in desperate need of help. I work in an office of 30 women and needless to say they are not happy right now… Which means i’m definitely not happy. Lol

Can anyone please help me??? Here is the error I am getting

Database setup or configuration error: Please verify your database settings and check the logs/error.log file for detailed error messages.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@c69e02e3[file =C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: checkHeartbeat(): lock file [C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck] is presumably locked by another process.

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:764)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:480)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:212)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:113)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:58)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ConnectionManager.getConnection() failed to obtain a connection after 11 retries. The exception from the last attempt is as follows: java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile@c69e02e3[file =C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: checkHeartbeat(): lock file [C:\Program Files (x86)\Openfire\embedded-db\openfire.lck] is presumably locked by another process.

at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.getConnection(DbConnectionManager .java:151)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:754)

… 16 more

Error starting the server. SPelevrsare ech hcake ttehle

dl

og files for more information.

Anybody? I about about to try and reinstall if I can’t get any input…

All indications are that there is still a process using your database. That would typically mean that there is still an Openfire process running, or the included database viewer (embedded-db-viewer) is running.

You might also want to consider switching to a different db, the embedded one is not recommended for a production environment.

Thank you for your response. The reason we went with the embedded db is because we are a medical office and we transmit patient information. So we needed to keep it secure. I just uninstalled it and i’m going to try and reinstall it. I didn’t set this up the first time so I have a feeling this is going to be a challenge, but I really have no other choice.

Start your taskmanager and look for an openfire.exe or openfired.exe process. Openfire may be running as a service.

Honestly, starting fresh might be much easier than trying to fix what someone else implemented.

How is the embedded database more secure? Because it sits inside the Openfire installation folder? You can install standalone database on the same server if you think that server is secure. Btw, embedded database is just a text file, in plain text, so it is easier to compromise/read if your server is compromised. Or maybe there is another reason?

Ok, I really don’t know anything about Openfire or how it worked. But I was able to uninstall and reinstall openfire and somehow got it working again. I don’t know what is more secure db wise. Just know that everything was all on our server before.