Server Migration from Windows to Windows

I am going to Migrate Openfire Spark from server 2008 R2 to Server 2016. What are the steps? At the moment I am using 4.2.3 on my Server 2008. I see the latest version is 4.3.2. Is it as simple as install it on new server, copy some config files over and all done? I do have some plugins that I would have to bring over as well.
Any help will be much appreciated.

I also notice the different options for the download, no java, includes java. Which version should I use?

You can read these guides:

You should probably install the same version as you already use (Java or no Java). But this is not so important. You can always install your own Java on server and let Openfire use it. Using bundled (with Java) version is easier as you don’t have to install and update Java on your own.

Here are the steps to migrate Openfire Spark from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2016:

1. Preparation:

• Backup: Create a full backup of your current Openfire installation, including configuration files, database (if external), and plugins.
  • Download Openfire: Download the appropriate version of Openfire for Server 2016 from the official website (Ignite Realtime: Openfire Server). Choose either “no java” or “includes java” based on your existing Java setup:
    • “No java”: If you have a compatible Java version (1.8 or later) already installed on the new server.
    • “Includes java”: If you want Openfire to come with its own bundled Java version.

2. Installation on Server 2016:

• Install Openfire: Run the installer on Server 2016, following the on-screen instructions.
  • Database setup:
    • If using embedded database: No additional setup is needed.
    • If using external database: Configure Openfire to connect to the existing database on Server 2016.

3. Migration of Data and Configuration:

• Stop Openfire on Server 2008: Ensure Openfire is not running on the old server.
  • Copy files:
    • Copy the following folders from the old Server 2008 installation to the new Server 2016 installation:
      • conf (contains configuration files)
      • plugins (contains plugins, if any)
      • resources (contains resources like themes and sounds)
      • embedded-db (if using embedded database)
  • Adjust configuration: Review and adjust any configuration settings in the conf folder as needed to match your new environment (e.g., IP addresses, hostnames).

4. Plugins:

• Install plugins: If you have plugins on the old server, install them on Server 2016 as well. Check for compatibility with the new Openfire version.

5. Start Openfire:

• Start Openfire: Start the Openfire service on Server 2016.
  • Verify functionality: Access the Openfire admin console and test user accounts, messaging, and other features to ensure everything works as expected.

Also, tools like Gs Richcopy 360 and Sharegate are very helpful in migrating from server to server easily and fast

1 Like