Setup a maven repository

Hi,

I suggest to provide a maven repository on igniterealtime.org. I will try to list a few pros:

• a sync request for the official maven repository could keep the official repository up to date and could push the use of our products (I saw a couple of user requests for tinder, smack and whack in the forum).
  • with the help of Maven Openfire Plugin and provided openfire jars in the repository would simplify Openfire plugin development
  • with a local repository there is no more need for placing the dependencies multiple times in subversion and it’s a more compatible (instead of using system dependencies in the poms)
  • a repository doesn’t need much ressources. I’ve prepared one on http://fara.cs.uni-potsdam.de/~niess/repository/ which needs circa 10 MB space on the web server.
    I hope this will provoke some responses on this topic.

Other discussions could be found on Whack and Maven, Smack Jars in Maven Repository, Tinder in Maven, SMACK-265, …

@Benjamin: If we decide to setup one, unpacking repository.tar.gz would provide a first working repository.

I’d love to have a igniterealtime.org repository that syncs with the central Maven one.

Hi Guenther,

That sounds good, I know not everyone is a Maven fan but I personally like it and the past two plugins I’ve built have been using the Maven Openfire Plugin (seems that a Maven archetype might be a nice to have for plugins as well). It’d certainly save a bit of bandwidth not having to checkout all the jars… It’d also be quite nice to see the test coverage - I know where I work it can be an important factor in deciding the software to use.

Michael