Simple question about broadcast

Hello,

I installed the jbroadcast plugin, and made some tests.

I successfully sent a message to all users connected (by using the “all” tag).

I created a roster group for my sending user, and tried to send a message to this group, but it didn’t work (no error, just nothing received).

So, I’m wondering: what is referred by group in the documentation?Iis it the roster group, or is it some kind of broadcasting group? If so, how do I create and configure these groups?

what is referred by group in the documentation?

Probably shared groups, they can be configured via admin console.

(I have never tried the boardcast plugin…)

Ok. Is “shared groups” a standard feature of XMPP or is it Openfire specific? And is it possible to configure shared groups from code?

michaelbroutin wrote:

I created a roster group for my sending user, and tried to send a message to this group, but it didn’t work (no error, just nothing received).

Hi Michael,

My guess is that the sending user is the group’s admin user, and that you’re confused into believing that a group admin is also a group member. Perhaps, it might help if you look at Re: broadcast problem.

Is “shared groups” a standard feature of XMPP or is it Openfire specific?

They are Openfire specific.

is it possible to configure shared groups from code?

yes, see GroupManager and Group class.

Thanks for reply

But when I asked for configuration through code, I meant through Client code (possibly using smack API).

So, is it possible to fully manage a shared group from client code, or at list, being able to add or remove users to a given shared group?

So, is it possible to fully manage a shared group from client code

Some things can be manages through Add-Hoc-Commands, but I have never tried it with success. I think for full control you will need a server plugin your client can communicate with.

My Server-Bot Helga implements its own shared group system. It can completely configured and managed from client side. You do not need any special client, which e.g. supports Add-Hoc-Commands, because everything is done through normal chat messages.