Sip / VOIP settings etc

Ive managed to get a STUN server running via wildfire, and also have the media proxy running…

But… what details are needed to use a sip phone software to connect?

Im using x-lite and i need

username (assume this is the username for chat??)

authorization user (i assume as above??)

password (as above)

domain / realm ( ive been trying the ip to the wildfire server)

sip proxy (as above - but i have no ides what is right here…)

outbound proxy (not needed?)

send internal ip - set as default (that ok?)

Thanks alot ive been unable to find a guide for this…

Message was edited by: delta9

digging around i found http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=139433&#139433

so does this mean voip is only available to enterprise users?

If anyone in the know about voip could give some help about this via msn or something that would be great!!

Hi delta9,

Check out the quick Spark Phone How-To guide in the wiki at:

http://wiki.igniterealtime.org/display/SPARK/SparkPhoneHow+To

The basic VOIP services such as the STUN server and media proxy are open source, but the SIP Softphone for Spark and the server-side softphone configuration features are only available in the Enterprise plugin.

It sounds like you are trying to use another SIP softphone with Wildfire. Wildfire is not a SIP server directly. Instead, it works with existing SIP services like an Asterisk server to make SIP softphone deployments with the phone in Spark easier and centrally managed.

Cheers,

Greg

thanks - ok so basially i cant do voip with wildfire / spark without upgrading to the enterprise version? Or can i?

you say basic services are included with the open source version - so is it possible to do voip with it or not - its all very confusing!!

i no longer plan to use x-lite soft phone for this as i see the new spark beta has the soft phone plugin included so thats half the battle won, and makes it ultimatly easier for users too… - its just the server side i need to get to grips with now… i tihink

Our entire deployment of wildfire / spark is tiny so its not worth upgrading to the paid service pricing for us

Also are you saying that i need a 3rd party app to run voip too?

Hi delta9,

The layout of VoIP technologies is definitely confusing. I’'ll try to clarify:

• Media services such as STUN and the media proxy in Wildfire are available as open source.

• Jingle, for computer-to-computer calling, is available as open source in Wildfire and Spark. However, this is not yet released (it will be soon, though).

• The SIP softphone in Spark, which integrates with existing phone systems and services such as Asterisk, is available with the Enterprise plugin.

• The SIP softphone registration configuration is available with the Enterprise plugin.

Also are you saying that i need a 3rd party app to run voip too?

To use the SIP softphone you will need a 3rd party app such as Asterisk (or the super-handy Trixbox distribution. Another alternative is a service like Gizmo.

Regarding the Enterprise plugin for small deployments, we’‘ve tried hard to make the pricing work for both small and large deployments. You can currently get the Enterprise plugin for $15/user/year with a 25 user minimum. I don’‘t know if that fits your deployment, but the ease of use of the softphone might just save you enough time that the Enterprise plugin doesn’'t really cost you anything.

Cheers,

Greg

thanks

ok so…

slightly ot…

what is the point of stun if its not to do voip?

what use is the media proxy?

back ot…

we need to wait for jingle then its possible to do spark - spark dialled and received voice calls?

we arent a business and cant afford nearly 400$ a year to provide for our deployment - so would really love some option to do voip with spark purely with open source

I was going to look at asterisk but if that also need enterprise to work with spark then will pass on that

what is the point of stun if its not to do voip?

what use is the media proxy?

VOIP is definitely the first heavy user of STUN and the media proxy. These services will primarily be used with Jingle. You could also use them to support other media services like file transfer, or to build out other services.

we need to wait for jingle then its possible to do spark - spark dialled and received voice calls?

Yes, exactly. When Jingle is released in Wildfire and Spark then Spark-to-Spark voice calls will be available as open source.

Cheers,

Greg