Slow access to Admin Console

Hi there

I started using openfire a few weeks ago. I have a dedicated machine running Centos 5.5 and I started with openfire 3.7.0, however, I was having a couple of issues and I decided to reinstall everything and now I am running: Centos 5.5, JRE 1.6.29 and Openfire 3.7.1 (rpm installation). Right now, the server is only connected to a local network and is not connected to the Internet. I noticed that reaching the Admin console is fast, however, it takes a few minutes to be able to log in. Once I get access, the Users/Groups, Session, Group Chat and Plugins tabs open really fast but it takes minutes to try to open the Server and Server Manager tabs. I noticed that this problem goes away when I connect the server to the internet.

I named my openfire server with the same static IP that I assigned to the server (10.0.1.1) and I am not using a domain. I use another computer connected to the same local network to access theh Admin console and I am able to reach it almost instantly but loging in is really slow.

Any suggestions???

Here is the error I am getting:

2011.11.14 11:55:26 org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.DNSUtil - Can’t process DNS lookup!
javax.naming.CommunicationException: DNS error [Root exception is java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out]; remaining name '_xmpp-server._tcp.jabber.org’
at com.sun.jndi.dns.DnsClient.query(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.dns.Resolver.query(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.dns.DnsContext.c_getAttributes(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.ComponentDirContext.p_getAttributes(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.PartialCompositeDirContext.getAttributes(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.PartialCompositeDirContext.getAttributes(Unknown Source)
at javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.getAttributes(Unknown Source)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.DNSUtil.srvLookup(DNSUtil.java:199)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.DNSUtil.resolveXMPPDomain(DNSUtil.java:131)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSess ion(LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:269)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.authenticateDomain (LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:208)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.sendPa cket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:261)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.run(Ou tgoingSessionPromise.java:238)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive0(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive(Unknown Source)
at java.net.DatagramSocket.receive(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.dns.DnsClient.doUdpQuery(Unknown Source)
… 16 more
2011.11.14 11:55:56 org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.DNSUtil - Can’t process DNS lookup!
javax.naming.CommunicationException: DNS error [Root exception is java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out]; remaining name '_jabber._tcp.jabber.org’
at com.sun.jndi.dns.DnsClient.query(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.dns.Resolver.query(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.dns.DnsContext.c_getAttributes(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.toolkit.ctx.ComponentDirContext.p_getAttributes(Unknown Source)
at javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.getAttributes(Unknown Source)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.DNSUtil.srvLookup(DNSUtil.java:199)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.DNSUtil.resolveXMPPDomain(DNSUtil.java:133)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSess ion(LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:269)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalOutgoingServerSession.authenticateDomain (LocalOutgoingServerSession.java:208)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.sendPa cket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:261)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.run(Ou tgoingSessionPromise.java:238)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive0(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive(Unknown Source)
at java.net.DatagramSocket.receive(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.jndi.dns.DnsClient.doUdpQuery(Unknown Source)
… 16 more

Anyone??

I finally found a solution for this issue. I initially thought that I had a DNS problem, however, I am not using a domain name for openfire and instead I am using an IP address. I am trying to access openfire from another computer connected to the same local network, so, there is not DNS involved. The issue was something way more simple than a DNS problem: “RSS feed”.

If you try to log in and openfire is not connected to the Internet, the RSS feed will slow down the log in because openfire keeps waiting for the RSS feed to respond.

Solution: Go to Openfire System Properties and create a new rule: rss.enabled=false