Slow start openfire

Were using Openfire 3.6.3 on Ubuntu platform.
When restarting the service, it takes almost 5 minutes before the service can be used again.

Anyone an idea what to do?

If I need to give more information, please advice.

Thanks!

Danie

Hi Danie,

I assume that the Ubuntu JVM has a problem with /dev/random. Quite a few users did report similar problems and you may want to use another JVM.

Creating some thread dumps (kill -3 pid-of-openfire) during startup will likely show you that the JVM and thus Openfire takes so long withing a method generateRandomSeed() or something like this.

LG

Hello,

I’ve been having the same problem on debian lenny. I’ve checked the jvm and it is using java-sun-1.5 which i think should be ok. Are there are any other suggestions?

Use Java 6. Java 5 did reach EOL in 2009.

I must have bigger problems going on, a fresh installation on this machine is having the same problem. And it is using the java-6 runtime.

Hi,

create some javacore files during startup. There you’ll find an active thread and where it is blocking.

See also http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1033

LG

Turns out this was the result of DNS lookup problems. Openfire was slow to start when unable contact the DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf. Fixed that system configuration problem and openfire starts fine.