Smack Beta 1.1 Released

There was a minor problem with the build process that merged the XML JAR incorrectly into smack.jar. Beta 1.1 has been released, which corrects this problem.

Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Good to see the excellent progress being made with Smack (still not convinced about the name of the library though;-)

Where abouts is the download on the site, I can only see links for smack-1.0-beta2.zip etc beneath “Download – Smack Beta 2, February 10, 2003” at http://www.jivesoftware.com/xmpp/smack/ ?

Kind Regards,

Colin Coates.

a.k.a. cocoa69@jabber.org

Colin,

Don’'t like the name??

Sorry for the confusion on the naming – beta 2 is the newest release. The previous one was 1.0 beta 1.1, which probably should have been called 1.0 beta 1a (it was a very minor change from beta 1). If you check out the changelog, that should clear stuff up.

Regards,

Matt

Matt,

Well it has been previously suggested by (at least one) Computer Science luminary, that having the right name is crucial to the success of software. Gotta try & remember where I read it, maybe it was Donald A. Knuth; it was definitely a “Ha, ha, only serious” type of comment!-)

The name Smack just seems to connote violence and/or drug abuse to me. This probably says more about my psychology then the merits of the name though:-)

The name doesn’‘t take anything away from the quality of the original idea for the software, or its execution to date. I’'m sure I will get used to it given time… maybe you would like to comment on why the name was chosen?

Kind Regards,

Colin.

Colin,

Heh, we’'ve never been ones for standard naming conventions (hence Jive). We could pretend that Smack stood for:

Simple Messaging And Communication Kit

although we just thought of that on the spot. Anyway, according to dictionary.com, smack has a few other meanings you might not be familiar with:

• A fishing boat sailing under various rigs, according to size, and often having a well used to transport the catch to market.

• A distinctive flavor or taste.

Of course, it does mention that smack is a synonym for heroin as well… but what fun would there be if there wasn’‘t at least a bit of controversy? In any case, we’‘ll definitely consider your feedback and if enough others complain about the name, we’'d certainly consider changing it.

Regards,

Matt