Smack minimum ping interval

Follow up, the issue was on my end. pingFailed is being called now. However is there any technical reason why the minimum timeout is 2 minutes? We are using the pingFailed to detect when the connection has been lost and 2 minutes is an eternity in our customer’s environment. Or is there a better way to detect that a connection has been lost?

I don’t know. With these settings, it’s hard to please everyone, I guess. I do wonder why the value is hardcoded, instead of configurable.

1 Like

Configurable would be nice. A quick change would be:
final long minimumTimeout = TimeUnit.SECONDS.toMillis(pingInterval);

Create a PR and see what happens. :wink:

If you find yourself in a situation where you believe need a lower ping interval than 2 minutes, which is already very low, IMHO to low, then you may want to reconsider your whole architecture. I did not encounter an UX issue, that could only be solved by lowering the ping interval. There are better alternatives that are also more reliable. On the other hand, a low ping interval causes unnecessary load and resource usage.

While your answer is logical, I think the configurable option is still a good way.
Sometimes it’s good to give people and option to shoot in their feet, if they think it is a good thing.

Nothing prevents you from pinging the user’s server with a lower interval. But you have to code the logic for that yourself. :slight_smile:

:wink:

This topic was automatically closed 62 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.