Snow Leopard Compatibility

I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard and am having a problem with my Spark. Messaging works fine, but the Spark icon in my dock no longer jumps when people send me a new message. Does anyone have an idea on how to remedy this problem?

have you tried the latest svn build?

http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1822

Are one of the current SVN builds installable on OS X?

Although I’ve attempted to build a OS X version of spark from SVN myself, I’ve had no meaningful success.

Has someone succeeded at this? An OS X build for the latest development snapshots, especially with sparkphone.jar and jingle.jar included would be a godsend.

What about spark-installer.jar? It should be installable. At least i think it shouldnt be dependant on the platform.

Not entirely sure it’s unresolvable, but aside from not creating a “Spark.app” entry, running the “Spark” shell script the jar installer creates in the Spark directory results in:

mbpro:~ user$ /Applications/Spark/spark ; exit;
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:675)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:280)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:374)

Well, i have filed SPARK-1091 , but currently i think there are no developers working with Mac OS X.

Hi,

try the attached trunk version (revision 11255). It was build on Leopard but I think it should also run on Snow Leopard.
spark.dmg.zip (13376626 Bytes)
spark-installer.jar (15474034 Bytes)

Hmm, any progress on this?

We have about 100 employees that use Spark, of that there are about 15 that are on Snow Leopard. Not having the bounce on the Doc is really a pain as we miss messages for some time. I have tried the files above and they don’t work either. We are currently on 10.6.3, using spark 2.5.8 with Openfire 3.6.4…

No progress, and probably won’t be at all. There are not many developers here, especially Mac developers. So, i suggest to swith to some other client.

Hi. Did anyone ever find a fix for this? I am in the same boat. I rolled out Spark to my team yesterday after testing it on both platforms but being a Windows/Linux user mostly, I never noticed that the icon didn’t bounce in the dock.

If you switched to some other client, is there one that works with Openfire only like Spark? We are trying to keep our employees from chatting outside of our office and only want them to have MSN or other clients if they are required to for client conversations…

Thanks

Ben

Well Ben, in our case we started using iChat on Snow Leopard, it works great with the exception that Apple seems to have broken file transfers with it. So its pain but when we need to transfer files we use spark, other wise iChat. I hate to say it, I love Spark but not having notification that there is a message is a pain, can someone get Spark in Growl?

Thanks for the reply! Yeh, I am looking for a client where users cannot connect to other services like MSN, AOL etc. as we have some users that abuse these programs to chat with friends throughout the day. Spark was the perfect choice until we started using it and the Mac users, if they step away from their machines, have no notification that they got a message while they were away…

The toast popup works if they are sitting at their desk, so I guess if there was some way to leave this on the screen unless they manually removed it, that may work as well.

Thanks

Ben

I may be wrong, but I believe can customize programs like Windows Live Messenger so that they only work within a specified network. My work used MSN Messenger (essentially the same as WLM) before switching to Spark and I wasn’t able to use it outside of work parameters.

Hey Sevens,

Thanks for the reply. I’m in sort of a dilema because I will have a few users that will need to contact clients through MSN and other means so I can’t just block MSN at the firewall and then just use the client internally…=(

Ben

Well, if you trusted those particular employees, you could simply not block them via firewall and block everyone else.