Some bad news on naming

Also, Firestorm is a name for a line of Black & Decker drills. Don’t know if that matters but hey.

there are two chinese saying:

the first one is:???,which translate into English is “Spark could inginte a wildfire to burn out the whole plain”

the send one is a poetry from a great ancient chinese poet ???(Bai Juyi):

???translate into English is :

The wildfire could n’t burn out the weed, spring wind will make weed renascence

So the spring wind is more strong than wildfire:) AND weed is the most strong one.

Shall we rename to “strongweed”?

Best wishes:)

@jadestorm

I think you are okay as long as it’s not another company doing IM/Communications type stuff. Kind of like how their is Apple Music and Apple Computers, but they had a problem when Apple started up iTunes. Then Apple Computers had to make a deal with Apple Records.

I say WorldIgnition!

I just happened to think about the name “Sequoia”.

Sequoia trees are able to survive wildfires and actually require them periodically. The fires produce heat which dries and opens the seed cones of the trees, it also burns up the vegetation below, giving the seedlings a place to grow.

It doesn’t exactly go with the whole spark and ignite naming…but it is kind of related

Oh well… if Firestorm is not available then the next logical name would be the “Ignite IM server” or something like that.

Heh, again… Though, i remember it was hard to get used to Wildfire name at first. But after a while it was ok. Funny, but my server machine is still called “jiveserver” and will be when i’ll move it to a new hardware

So, would be great to stick with the fire theme and to use Ignite not only in the community name.

Ignite Server

Ignition Server

Ignizio …

Ignis

Ugnis (fire - in lithuanian )

StormFire

IMHO, choosing a common word is a bad idea for a product, since it doesn’t appear first in search engines (you have to specify another word to find it), and since common words are often used by companies for their product(s) (thus trademark issues).

I’d rather suggest a new, invented nickname, resembling a common word around “fire” and “spark” concept/idea. You could limit further the search with for example a name containing the “J” and the “bb” of “Jabber”, or something like xmpp*.

Everyone at my job don’t see the difference between the server and the client so when someone call me for a problem they always say something like : “Hey Spark is down”

So I think that Spark Server would be easier for everyone to remember.

If the goal is to stay in keeping with the fire theme and still be unique and descriptive so as to allow a copyright enforceable name, then it will be a difficult task indeed. Likely you will have to create a word that is not in fact a word but contains the root. Something like Pyrophasia Which is not really a word but is derived from latin prefix pyro- for fire burn and greek suffix -phasia for talk,speak,say. Of course, I am sure you would want something easier to say than Pyrophasia. Maybe Ignilingo… google doesn’t even find that one…

How about SavageFire ?

I like Openfire as well.

Ive liked the name Flare. Just a thought. (OpenFlare?)

Hey,

I love what you’e doing!

Don’t ever change and best of luck.

Raymon W.