Sometimes file transfers with long file names fail

I’m not able to reproduce this in my testing environment (maybe because it is a virtual environment), but on production network at work i often run into issue when i send say a picture with a rather longer name (like “very funny picture of a cute little kitten.jpeg”). When on the other side a person presses Accept, their get a generic Error message. Usually it transfers ok if i rename such file to say “funny.jpeg”. As i said i can’t reproduce this at home. Maybe it is related to windows firewall. Usually when we install Spark and you first time try to send somthing it throws a warning from a firewall. But we just dismiss that message (because administrator would have to go to every desk and create an exception for Spark). This message doesn’t come up again after that and as we tested, everything works fine (messaging, muc, transfers). So we didn’t bother about that. OS is Vista/Windows 7. Will try to test this at work later or set up a physical box for testing at home.

After an additional testing at work it seems file name’s lenght has no eddect here. First time transfer fails and the second time the same file goes fine.

Error on the receiving client:

Jan 27, 2014 2:02:40 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SEVERE: There was an error during file transfer.

Error in execution:

– caused by: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:

– caused by: Could not establish socket with any provided host: item-not-found(404) Could not establish socket with any provided host

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer.negotiateStream(Incom ingFileTransfer.java:199)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer.access$100(IncomingFi leTransfer.java:47)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer$1.run(IncomingFileTra nsfer.java:124)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Nested Exception:

java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:

– caused by: Could not establish socket with any provided host: item-not-found(404) Could not establish socket with any provided host

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer.negotiateStream(Incom ingFileTransfer.java:193)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer.access$100(IncomingFi leTransfer.java:47)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer$1.run(IncomingFileTra nsfer.java:124)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by:

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.FaultTolerantNegotiator.createIncomingStre am(FaultTolerantNegotiator.java:114)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer$2.call(IncomingFileTr ansfer.java:186)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer$2.call(IncomingFileTr ansfer.java:183)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.IncomingFileTransfer.negotiateStream(Incom ingFileTransfer.java:190)

… 3 more

This happened on Windows 7. Works fine on first transfer with Vista.