Spam Private Messages

Hi,

The account “karenkaren” sent me a spam PM. I’m willing to forward this message to a moderator, but I’m not sure whom to send it to.

I also received spam from account KarenKaren

Please forward to me, thanks.

The SPAM user has been removed.

Thanks Benjamin. Do you still want me to forward the PM?

No need. Thanks for the report, though.

I also just got one of those. Here is the text:

Hello dear Greetings to you ,My name is miss Karen, i read about you in this site and i decide to communicate with you and it will please me if you will be my friend, i wish if you will respond to my mail box(karen_b82@yahoo.in) so that i will tell you more about my self and also send you my picture for you to know who i am, i hope to hear from you. yours Karen write me here email at (karen_b82@yahoo.in)

Just received the same message, from user “karenkaren200”.

KarenKaren200 has been disabled.

The spammer appears to be back again: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/201817

Is there an (easy) way to check the access list? If this is the only person from a particular IP address, a (temporary?) IP-ban might be in place…

@http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/people/karenkaren300 and

@http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/people/karenbah may also want to be disabled. The owner of this email address must be very as it seems that a lot of or do reply.

LG

I’ve disabled and banned the known usernames, but I don’t have an easy way to see what IP is in use for an IP ban.

Unless it’s in 4.x or does already exist one may want to create an enhancement request to log IP+UserAgent+X-Forwarded-For

karenkaren200 sent me that same message on 3/18.

I had a spam message from someone else a few months ago too, but I deleted it and ignored it.

How do these bots get on here? Isn’t there a captcha required for signing up and/or sending a PM? If not, there should be.

A captcha does not stop a crazy human thing. A way to get rid of such problems is a point/activity based permission system (<10 posts or <1 month: no links, no attachments / images and no PMs). But SBS does (did) not support this.

Correct. Captcha and email validation of account are required for signup, but that is the limit of anti-SPAM tools available in SBS at this time (3.0 and 4.0).

A couple more spammers I received messages from recently. Didn’t see any mechanism to report them so replying to this thread:

thank you

tessyetienne@yahoo.fr
nice to meet you Dear.

My name is miss. tessy Etienne i saw your profile today at(www.igniterealtime.org)

and became intrested in you,i will also like to know you more,and i want you to

send an email to my email address so that i can give you my pictures, for you to

know who i am.
Here is my email address(tessyetienne@yahoo.fr)

I believe we can move from here!
I am waiting for your respond to my email address above.I am miss
tessy.
(Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life)

Good day,
Please respond through my email address: ellenmoriwa@yahoo.com
I was moved to contact you when i saw your profile.
My name is Ellen Moriwa, I am from Liberia. I know you maybe surprised about why i contact you, Please bear with me.
I have special reasons of contacting you which i will tell you once you contact me through my email address (ellenmoriwa@yahoo.com) because i may not be able to login this site again since i am new to internet.
I will tell you more about myself and send my pictures to you since our profile cannot say everything about us.
Thanks as i hope to read from you soon.
Yours faithfully,
Ellen.

Spam user: Ellen Moriwa

Good day,
Please respond through my email address: ellenmoriwa@yahoo.com
I was moved to contact you when i saw your profile.
My name is Ellen Moriwa, I am from Liberia. I know you maybe surprised about why i contact you, Please bear with me.
I have special reasons of contacting you which i will tell you once you contact me through my email address (ellenmoriwa@yahoo.com) because i may not be able to login this site again since i am new to internet.
I will tell you more about myself and send my pictures to you since our profile cannot say everything about us.
Thanks as i hope to read from you soon.
Yours faithfully,
Ellen.

The spammer has been deleted.

Thanks!

took a bit of research but I found the HOME address of the spammer who created the BOT. Message me so we can coordinate efforts, this has got to stop!