Spark 1.1 has been released!

We are happy to announce the release of Spark 1.1 with the theme being better file transfer, improved mac builds, new Linux build and plugins :).

Cheers,

Derek

Change Log[/b]

1.1.0 – February 9, 2006

New Features

• Spark now has a Linux release.
    • Added support for Sparkplugs – includes a plugin viewer to install and uninstall plugins.
    • Greatly improved file transfer feature.
    • Spark now has an emoticon picker in the chat room.
    • If a group is collapsed, that’'s now remembered between Spark restarts.
    • ChatPreference is now part of the base Spark code.
    • Added better disconnect information.
    • Update icons to better match function.
    • Users can disable chat history feature in spark.
    • History messages are now displayed with the date and time the message was sent or received.
    • Broadcasted messages now appear in their own dialog.
    • When Spark is set to start minimized, login failures now result in periodic retries without notification.
    • Improved UI on the download upgrade dialog.
    • Added notification of sent broadcast.
    • Added “Place Call” on right-click of contacts.
    • Refactored source for public API release.

Bug

• 600+ Roster accounts caused Spark to slow down.
    • Don’'t show “Invite” buttons and sub-menus if there is no default MUC service.
    • Composing event was being sent with incorrect ID and even if the user didn’'t request it.
    • Fixed issue that caused the dial phone pop-up stays open after the external call has completed.
    • Drag-and drop of users between groups was failing on Macs.
    • Call to user without asterisk account was ringing the wrong phone.
    • Could not remove a contact that belongs to a shared group from a local group.
    • Improved error handling when trying to change the subject of a room.
    • Fixed error sending files between Exodus and Spark.
    • There was no way to join a room that was not listed in the public directory.
    • Clicking a URL in the chat history didn’'t work on Mac
    • Mac build was missing actions on conference participants.
    • Fixed display of empty groups.
    • Spark is now able to run as a limited user on Windows.
    • Improved conference invitations UI.
    • Creating accounts now works on ports other than just 5222.
    • History settings are now being persisted with UTF-8 encoding.
    • Adding and removing shared groups from the server was not showing properly in Spark.
    • Resouces with space characters were not allowed.
    • The default resource name be “Spark” instead of “spark”.
    • The chat history was not being written during the update process.
    • Removed the unused “name” field under General Information

Have the docs/development tools for Spark-Plug’'s been released?

Nathan

looking good. i like the translation feature.

is it possible to have the plugin installed automatically with the webstart option?

The rest of the plugins as well as the new developer’'s guide are being put up shortly. We are creating a new page and forum for those discussions.

Cheers,

Derek

Has there been any thought to translating backwards? I mean I can set my chat to translate my text but can it translate the text of the other user? So we both can use our native language?

What would actually be very usefull is to just be able to select some text and right click on it to translate it to another language. Since I get spanish fragments every once in a while that I need to lookup.

Nathan

What would actually be very usefull is to just be

able to select some text and right click on it to

translate it to another language. Since I get

spanish fragments every once in a while that I need

to lookup.

Nathan – all good ideas. The current translator plugin is really meant more as a demo than a serious app. But, it could definitely be turned into something really useful.

Regards,

Matt

I found a little bug. When I have someone selected in one group and then I right click on someone in a different group (must be a different group) and then view the contact history I get the contact history for the person that was previously selected. Did that make any sense?

So I have

Group 1

• User 1

• User 2

Group 2

• User 3

• User 4

If I have User 1 selected then I right click on User 3 and click on contact history it shows the contact history for User 1. The interface also shows them both selected at the same time. This doesn’'t happen for users within the same group.

Nathan

Great. Is the source code available for it?

Nathan

Hi,

yes, the translator plugin has some problems. I’'ll post them here so the developer will likely not read the bad news:

It is not available for MUC.

The message “???” will be transfered as “???” with “no translation” - OK.
With “English to German” it will be transfered as “?” - Error

So it causes corrupt messages, “sch?n” becomes “sch?n”.

The chat logs of both clients don’‘t match any more, as the messages are translated while sending but the translation is not shown so one can’'t know what the other client will receive.

Good news:[/b] The plugin uses the configured http proxy (normal proxy without auth)

Another small Spark bug: Contacts, Add Contact sets the focus to “Add” while the fields are all empty. One must press TAB to move it to “Jabber ID”.

Imho the x.y.0 versions should be released as x.y.0-beta so one is very happy to find some bugs. It was the same with 1.0.0 … it took some days to get the stable version 1.0.4

LG

Message was edited by: LG, some of the ? are ü ö and ä. It seems that also this forum has some trouble with UTF-8 and likes much better ASCII.

Message was edited by: LG

HTTP-Header: Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

Web page:

When I have someone selected

in one group and then I right click on someone in a

different group (must be a different group) and then

view the contact history I get the contact history

for the person that was previously selected.

Actually, I saw this behavior in 1.0.4 as well.

–Aaron

a noob question about Spark Manager.

says it’‘s free. But when i’‘m downloading it i have to agree with Evaluation agreement. So i’‘m a bit confused. It’'s free forever or what?

says it’‘s free. But when i’'m downloading it i have to

agree with Evaluation agreement. So i’'m a bit

confused. It’'s free forever or what?

Sounds like a bug in the download process! You should be getting a standard software license and not an evaluation license. I’'ll file a bug to get this fixed.

Thanks,

Matt

I upgraded immediately.

Many thanks to the Jive team for the active development of Spark. The community here is great.

Cheers,

David

Congrats on 1.1! It’'s getting even better with each release!

Is it in the roadmap to add the Linux version to spark manager? We use that heavily to distribute new versions.

Hi Azink,

It’'s already in the new Spark Manager 1.1 that was released the same day as Spark 1.1.

Cheers,

Derek

Hi Azink,

It’'s already in the new Spark Manager 1.1 that was

released the same day as Spark 1.1.

Cheers,

Derek

Aha, I see. You may want to update The Jive Employee Engagement Platform as it still shows 1.0.1 as the latest.

Thanks again!

Hi,

is the blue (or gray) XMPP button below the avatar new and was introduced some hours after the Spark 1.1 release or did I miss it until now? Derek seems to be the only developer without an xmpp account

LG