powered by Jive Software

Spark 2.5.2 - Bug: Please improve network connectivity checking

Bug #1: Our IM server is inside the corporate firewall, that we need a VPN to access from remote. I have Spark set to autolaunch at bootup. When I boot and reach the WinXP desktop while working remotely, Spark cannot connect to the server and pops up UI complaining "Can’‘t connect to server: invalid name or server not reachable. " and won’‘t reconnect unless I hit OK, and press login after I connect to the VPN. In other words, it won’'t keep trying silently in the background.

Request: Please improve the network connectivity so that Spark remains minimized to the tray upon startup and continues to check for network connectivity. To notify the user that it cannot connect to the server, how about popping up a toast message in the lower right saying “Cannot connect to server, will keep trying. Click here to change configuration” - but just keep on trying and hide the toast after a few seconds.

Bug #2: We have multiple buildings on our campus with wireless access. When moving from one building to another with our laptops on, we lose network connectivity and then it reconnects. When Spark loses network connectivity, the roster window pops up and says “Your connection was closed due to an error. Reconnecting in X seconds”.

Request: Please improve the network connectivity so that Spark remains minimized to the tray when losing network connectivity, and keeps trying in the background. To notify the user that it cannot connect to the server, how about popping up a similar toast message as #1 saying “Cannot connect to server, will keep trying. Click here to change configuration”. then the toast disappears after a few seconds.

Preference request: Ideally there would also be a preference to disable the above notification toasts so it just silently keeps trying to connect, both at bootup/launch and with intermittent network connectivity issues. The tray icon can simply change colors/pictures to indicate that it’'s online/offline.

Thanks for your consideration.