Spark 2.5.5

Hi all,

I have been having some problems with Spark 2.5.5

I have people that are having contacts disappear and they add them back just to have them disappear again. Most of the contacts are outside the office using communicator so we have to use the plug-in for msn. (2.5.4 still working ok with the contacts)

I have uninstalled spark completely and reinstalled and the icons that were suppose to be on the desktop did not get put there.

Now when I right click on the tray icon to exit spark itself pop’s up also.

systems for the most part are

windows xp pro

P4’s with 512 - 1gig ram

120 gig hard drives.

Hi,

Are you using the full installer or the online installer or msi?

Thanks,

Derek

we are using the full installer

We too are having this issue. We use AIM, Yahoo, MSN and for whatever reason, the different groups and contacts will just disappear for no reason. you have to log out and back in and hope they come back. Sometimes you have to do it twice to get them to reappear again. even though it tells you that you’re logged into AIM and MSN, you can click on those individually to logoff/login but it does nothing. You have to close the Spark client completely, then get back in. This was working fine till the new client.

Joey

We seem to be having this issue as well. In a most confusing fashion. Four people, all on Spar 2.5.5. We used the full installer. Yesterday everyone was fine. Today, my client is fine. My AIM and MSN and Yahoo and Google Talk are fine. The other person in the office with me, hers is fine. The two other staff members who use it, they log in, no contacts, most of their preferences options are missing, they AIM and Yahoo buttons aren’t there, their Gtalk isn’t logged in…I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled, no difference.

I too am experiencing the same sort of problems. On top of that, two days ago, the spark client on a windows vista machine just refuses to start. It looks like it is going to start but nothing ever opens. I have deinstalled and reinstalled the complete package but with no result. Does anyone have any insight?

C

Hi,

Ok. Strange indeed. Can you post the error logs or if large, send them to derek@jivesoftware.com.

Thanks,

Derek

On my situation, there are no error logs and the only time I can even get an error is when I try to execute the starter applicaton. That shows this and only this error:

bq. bq. bq. java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jivesoftware/Restarter

Sooooooooooo???

C

I think the problem might be server side as the IM Gateway was just updated and I don’t recall having this problem until that upgrade. The error log and output log didn’t really show anything promising, maybe one error. So I’m betting its something server side not relaying the information correctly or something? Let me know if you need any more logs thanks.

Joey

I have been experiencing the same issue with vanishing contacts. It mostly affects my AIM contacts. On initial login the groups for those contacts never show up, and therefore you can not see the contacts that are online. They can send me IM messages and I can reply to them. I have been working with the programmer of the gateway plugin for the past few days. There is no apparent error in logs I have sent hime from the server and the spark error logs are empty. This is affecting Spark versions 2.5.3 and 2.5.5 for us (we do not have Spark 2.5.4 anywhere).

I believe it affected 2.5.4 as well as some of the people here that were using it said that problem was happening in 2.5.4 as well.

I have some using 2.5.3 and 2.5.4 and am not having a problem. I’m not getting an error report for this. We didn’t have a problem till we upgraded to 2.5.5 and it wasn’t the gateway plug-in I don’t think because like I said we are running fine with earlier versions of spark. Its strange now when I log-in everyone shows up then after a bit lets say 20 min sitting idle they disappear but if I logout of spark and then login again they show up. I’m still running test.

We get that as well. Most of the time its logging in in the morning and then nothing except the Openfire accounts show up. Then they close it out, go back in and some get the contacts, some don’t etc… Just depends and on what I have no clue. We’re noticing it more now with the 2.5.5 though thats for sure. We just noticed something else as well…

If someone else could try this as well. Create a New User, leave them logged in but do not add them to any groups. Try dragging the user into a group in an attempt to add them to it. Do all your groups disappear? This just happened to someone like 2 minutes ago. I need to verify his version but all his contacts disappeared the second he added the user to a group. he said he did it again and the same thing happened.

This is the error log from one of my non-working clients after my attempts to uninstall and reinstall failed:

Aug 15, 2007 12:29:40 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SEVERE:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.spark.Workspace$1.shutdown(Workspace.java:138)

at org.jivesoftware.MainWindow.fireWindowShutdown(MainWindow.java:222)

at org.jivesoftware.MainWindow.shutdown(MainWindow.java:251)

at org.jivesoftware.MainWindow$7.actionPerformed(MainWindow.java:446)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)