Spark 2.8.x - Messenger Not Loading Fully

We were running v 2.7.7 just fine. Since moving to the 2.8.x versions even tested on the newest nightly build one computer only has this problem.

spark - 01.png

Windows 7 x64, and this has been repeated even after uninstalling completely, removing all traces from %APPDATA% folder and “X:\Program Files (x86)” and reinstalling.

I have also tested with other users, thinking perhaps there were bad settings for the user in the server configuration, but it does it for all users when logging into this machine.

Spark messenger will open, and allow login, however the user list and other options never finish loading. I suspect something is messing up in java preventing the full login process from completing and resulting in a “hang” of sorts.

1, Roster Never Loads

2, The Following Menu Items Never Load:

File

---- Plugins

Actions

---- Start A Chat

---- Broadcast Message

---- View Task List

---- View Notes

---- Languages

---- Dial Number

I have removed all non-essential plugins, and even deleted the files from the folder(s) to ensure it is not an unneeded plugin causing the issue.

Any one have ideas of what is going on? I have attached error logs from a working machine, and from the machine with the problem.

The two main differences I notice are these two sections

Oct 19, 2016 9:51:00 AM org.jivesoftware.smack.roster.Roster$PresencePacketListener processPacket

WARNING: Roster not loaded while processing presence stanza

and

Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-0” java.lang.ClassCastException: org.jivesoftware.smack.packet.DefaultExtensionElement cannot be cast to org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.profile.ext.VCardUpdateExtension

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactItem.setPresence(ContactItem.java:351)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactGroup.addOfflineContactItem(ContactGroup.java: 176)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList.moveToOffline(ContactList.java:2551)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList.buildContactList(ContactList.java:602)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList.loadContactList(ContactList.java:1766)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ContactList.lambda$null$12(ContactList.java:1756)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(U nknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Oct 19, 2016 9:51:03 AM org.jitsi.util.Logger info

error log - working.txt.zip (3237 Bytes)
error log - bad.txt.zip (3324 Bytes)

I can’t say what is happening in this case, but i see that you are probably using online installer and have 101 version of Java installed separately on the system. Bundled version comes with 102 version (this is almost the same version, both released simultaneously, but even versions has a bit more stuff in them, so we tend to bundle even versions). You can try installing 102 version or try the bundled installer.

Oddly the 101 installed separately on other workstations are working correctly. On this particular workstation I tried your idea: I removed spark, and java; then used the offline 2.8.1.907 installer, and it is working correctly now.

Thank you for your time.