Spark 2.9.0: name in chat history

Hello.

An issue in the chat history of the new Spark 2.9.0.

If I’m John Red (username in AD = j.red@domain.com) and I open the chat history with Mary Green (username in AD = m.green@domain.com), I see all the messages of Mary Green with the right name Mary Green, while I see all my messages with j.red@domain.com.

So for example:
(08:30) j.red@domain.com: Hello. How are you?
(08:31) Mary Green: Fine well. Please send me your new release.
(08:32) j.red@domain.com: OK. Will do.

No problem with Spark 2.8.3 (I see John Red in all the lines).

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for this new Spark release!!!

Best.
Alessandro

What chat history screen do you mean? Can you provide a screenshot to illustrate this perhaps?

I mean both the window where i write new messages and the window of the conversation history where I can find all the previous conversations.

Thanks.
Best.
Alessandro

Unfortunately in this moment I can’t provide a real screenshot, but the screen is this one:
immagine

Best.
Alessandro

If I’m user John Red:

In Spark 2.8.3:
(08:30) John Red: Hello. How are you?
(08:32) John Red: OK. Will do.

In Spark 2.9.0:
(08:30) j.red@domain.com: Hello. How are you?
(08:32) j.red@domain.com: OK. Will do.

Thanks.
Best.
Alessandro

I can reproduce this problem. I’ve created this issue for it in our tracker: https://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/SPARK-2148

I also believe I’ve found the cause. I’ll provide a fix that will probably go into the next release of Spark.

Thanks for reporting this!

1 Like

It works for the chat window. But maybe you can apply the same fix for the Conversation History window? It also shows JIDs for your own user.

There is also another way of showing history. If you right click in a chat window and select View Log, it will present a different view of history, which also is using JID+resource. It was using same display method in 2.8.3 also. Maybe we should remove this duplicating option to view history altogether.

I’ve now also fixed the nickname in the other window. As for the third option: if it doesn’t hurt, let’s keep it? It displays raw/unparsed data from the log files, I think, which could have benefits to keep, if only to have an unambiguous view of the history. The nicknames that we display in other places is the current nickname, not the nickname that was used when the message was sent, which might be confusing. Having a log that simply contains the JIDs might be a good way to know exactly who said what.

1 Like