Spark 2.9.4 hanging in "Authorization" after update to Fedora 36

Hi there,

just updated my Workstation to Fedora 36 from 35 and now Spark (2.9.4) is hanging after starting.
Just showing the spinner and “Authentifizierung” below that.
The Other Spark 2.9.4 on MacOS has no issues and connects to that Server (Openfire 4.7.1) withouth problems…
Throwing away the .Spark directory and creating the account from scratch also gets stuck at the same point, but this time i can open the debug windows and grab some informations (see screenshots)

Any Help is appreciated :slight_smile:

and this is the starting screen which is hanging …
Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-05-12 21-50-36

Hi Sebastian. That’s weird. I can’t think of much that would be affected by the operating system that Spark is using.

Are there any clues in the logfiles of either Spark (these are in your .Spark directory) or Openfire?

the only thing i can find in the logs is that it complains about certificates…

Mai 23, 2022 4:46:39 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
WARNUNG: Cannot build certificate chain
java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty
	at java.base/java.security.cert.PKIXParameters.setTrustAnchors(PKIXParameters.java:200)
	at java.base/java.security.cert.PKIXParameters.<init>(PKIXParameters.java:157)
	at java.base/java.security.cert.PKIXBuilderParameters.<init>(PKIXBuilderParameters.java:130)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkExceptionsTrustManager.validatePath(SparkExceptionsTrustManager.java:94)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkExceptionsTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(SparkExceptionsTrustManager.java:44)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.doTheChecks(SparkTrustManager.java:111)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(SparkTrustManager.java:92)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.AbstractTrustManagerWrapper.checkServerTrusted(SSLContextImpl.java:1471)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:638)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.onCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:473)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T12CertificateConsumer.consume(CertificateMessage.java:369)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLHandshake.consume(SSLHandshake.java:396)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:480)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.HandshakeContext.dispatch(HandshakeContext.java:458)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.dispatch(TransportContext.java:201)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLTransport.decode(SSLTransport.java:172)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.decode(SSLSocketImpl.java:1505)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readHandshakeRecord(SSLSocketImpl.java:1420)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:455)
	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(SSLSocketImpl.java:426)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.proceedTLSReceived(XMPPTCPConnection.java:856)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.access$2000(XMPPTCPConnection.java:155)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1171)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$1000(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1092)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1112)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)

Debug output here: Looking at the certs presented by the server: ✘ basti@basti-nuc  /etc/pki/c - Pastebin.com since i’m only allowed to input 2 Links into a posting …

Any idea on how to get more info which cert chain actually is br0ke or any other hints? :wink:

Ok, downgrading java to 1.8 instead of 17 did the trick… it’s now working…

1 Like

Hi!
Yes, I can confirm that since Java 16 there is a login issue.

Ah, I was unaware of this. I have created a new placeholder issue for this problem: [SPARK-2270] - Ignite Realtime Jira

If I remove all plugins from Spark(
installation folder and appdata folder) then I can login. I think there is a bug somewhere.

I think this is the source of the problem, Java 11-15 talks about it