powered by Jive Software

Spark for restricted accounts

Hello,

I have some problems with Spark. I was planning to remotely deploy spark on client computers on windows domain. After successful installation application failed to start on a client PC. I discovered, that program was trying to write some data to its installation folder, where user has no rights for modifying data. Does anybody know, how to fix this?

Thanks

Regards

Andrew

I just created another post about deploying this to a vista domain, might want to take a peek at some issues I had before you go full blown… I think some issues are related to my environment, but you’ll see how I pushed and also have a few things to watch for if you start to notice problems. Would love to hear feedback, loved the product… cept for the side effects…

What you need to do is use cacls.exe to change the permissions on the folder to “Domain Users” full control. If your familar with PS tools, here is a command you can run on a remote machine to change the permissions

psexec \ c:\windows\system32\cacls.exe “C:\Program Files\Spark” /e /t /c /g “Domain Users:F”

You could also do this via vbscript or batch file to run on each computer, remember you’ll need to have the app installed before you can set permissions so you should pay attention to how you assign your policies.

Good luck.

Zach

This has to do with a problem with the MSI installer from this site. Try this one:

http://www.mtstravel2.com/downloads/spark_2_5_8.msi

or

http://www.mtstravel2.com/downloads/spark_2_5_8_online.msi

Hello,

Installation of this package failed. System responce was:

“The install of application spark_2_5_8_online from policy test_Software_installation failed. The error was : Fatal error during installation.”

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew

Hello,

Sadly, but I don’t have much time to experiment with this stuff. I tried to install app. locally into my profile directory - everything was fine at the beginning, but after few logins, logouts and test messages chat window didn’t popup anymore, though application didn’t send any error messages :confused:

Regards

Andrew

I have never receiced an error with it before. Can you try running it without it bein in a policy first.

We pushed onto 200+ computer without any “install” problems. Make sure you disable the UAC, since it will not install if this is enabled. We also pushed the UAC change via policy, once we completed the install we had to re-enable the UAC because other legacy applicaitons don’t work correctly with the UAC disable and there are known issues with computers hanging on reboot with the UAC disabled.