Spark Properties File Location

I use a custom MSI to deploy spark and a a set of preferences to each computer in my company. The problem is that MSI installers can not target the root of a currently active user’'s profile (ie: C:\Documents and Settings%username%). So my MSI is not able to create a folder Sparks to that path and then copy the spark.properties file to the new directory. Your application should be creating its preferences in the proper location which is C:\Documents and Settings%username%\Application Data.

In short I would like to request that this be changed in future releases please.

It is a pain, however we generate our msi by running a post install vbscript which works really well.

I am doing the same thing now, but it seems like a bandaid on an amputation wound. I would like to see spark use windows conventions for application preference folder creation. Then we could all easily create our own custom installs that are ADand windows friendly and require now post processes.

Can we please make this an issue that can be resolved. It should be a real simple fix.

Please add this to the bug fix or feature request. The preference directory for each user should be moved to: C:\Documents and Settings%username%\Application Data\Spark. This will allow end users to build custom installs of the application. Please, Please, Please address this issue.

Do I have to do something special to get this made into a support item? I have not seen an entry added into the issue tracker for this.

Still nothing in the issue tracker. What do I need to do to get this added as an issue? Somebody??? Anybody???

I AM CLOSING THIS EVEN THOUGH IT GOT NO ANSWER AND NO ACTION HAS BEEN TAKEN TO CREATE AN ISSUE IN THE TRACKER. THIS IS DEFINITELY SOMETHING THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED IN THE WINDOWS VERSION OF SPARK.

I want this reopened to see if I get any resolution this time around.

Hi,

As i was talking about yesterday, it’s a good idea, i just need to think through the current user base. I guess the optimal solution is to check for current user.home/Spark dir and make a copy to /Application Data/Spark and then delete the old Spark dir. It’s one of those old developer stresses of changing the properties locations for whatever reason

Cheers,

Derek

ddman wrote:

and then delete the old Spark dir.

maybe you can leave that dir, if someone would want to downgrade