Spark Sip Plugin in Linux

Hi

I’m running Ubuntu 7.10 with:

• Asterisk 1.4.10

• Openfire 3.4.5

• Asterisk-IM 1.4.0

• SIP Phone Plugin 1.0.2

When I first came across Asterisk-IM, I thought that it would provide IM and presence for normal sip softphones (like x-lite). After reading these forums it became clear that I needed an XMPP client like Spark with telephony features.

I’m running Linux, so apparently the SIP Phone Plugin for Spark doesn’t work. However I do have a Dial Number dialog (under Action -> Dial Number menu). If I try to use this nothing happens. However when I have x-lite running at the same time (registered as the device mapped in Asterisk-IM) and I use Spark’s Dial Number, it calls the x-lite phone. This is weird because no matter what extension I put in, it always ends up dialing itself. I’m sure that my sip.conf file is setup correctly. When I receive a call from another softphone, both x-lite and Spark show the incoming call, but Spark cannot answer. When I answer in x-lite, Sparks presence is updated. Also if I use x-lite to make a call to another user, then the Spark presence is updated.

My question is, since the linux version of Spark can’t use the SIP Phone Plugin, what is the purpose of the Dial Number dialog?

Currently I’m using Spark for instant messaging (and asterisk presence) and x-lite for making and receiving calls. Are there any linux clients that can do both?

Is it maybe possible to use Spark’s Dial Number dialog to initiate calls via x-lite?

P.S. I’m not sure if what I’ve mentioned above is correct, so please correct my assumptions.

what i’ve seen at this point is that you can use it to dial out phone numbers from spark instead of dialing them using your phone keypad.

You need to setup the right context at asterisk-im though

I got the source code off spark and sip-phone plugin from svn and after compile both on ubuntu 8.10 the sip-phone plugin became available. The problem now is a malfunction. When an incoming call rings and I push answer button nothing happens.

Try this instructions to compile spark and sip-phone plugin http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/source.jsp
1 - Put spark and sip-phone in the same directory
2 - Build spark first by run ($ cd spark/build ; ant)
3 - Build sip-phone by run ($ cd sip-phone/build ; ant) be sure that sip-phone/build/build.xml nows where the Spark is before run ant.
4 - Run all by ($ sh spark/target/build/bin/startup.sh)

best wishes