Spark times out. Openfire 4.7.1 on Windows2019 server

Set up a new 2019 openfire server and not able to consistently connect via Spark. It will time out or hang up when connecting to this new server.

We have a 2012 openfire server and both win7 and win10 clients will connect just fine.
Both openfire servers are 4.7.1.
Both win7 and win10 clients are Spark 2.9.4.

Error below:

org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException: No response received within reply timeout. Timeout was 60000ms (~60s). Waited for response using: IQReplyFilter: iqAndIdFilter (AndFilter: (OrFilter: (IQTypeFilter: type=error, IQTypeFilter: type=result), StanzaIdFilter: id=2qGJZ-17)), : fromFilter (OrFilter: (FromMatchesFilter (full): serverName.add.add.servernet.com)).
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException.newWith(SmackException.java:122)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException$NoResponseException.newWith(SmackException.java:105)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:265)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.StanzaCollector.nextResultOrThrow(StanzaCollector.java:219)
	at org.jivesoftware.smackx.disco.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverInfo(ServiceDiscoveryManager.java:531)
	at org.jivesoftware.smackx.disco.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverInfo(ServiceDiscoveryManager.java:505)
	at org.jivesoftware.smackx.disco.ServiceDiscoveryManager.supportsFeatures(ServiceDiscoveryManager.java:738)
	at org.jivesoftware.smackx.disco.ServiceDiscoveryManager.serverSupportsFeatures(ServiceDiscoveryManager.java:680)
	at org.jivesoftware.smackx.disco.ServiceDiscoveryManager.serverSupportsFeatures(ServiceDiscoveryManager.java:674)
	at org.jivesoftware.smackx.disco.ServiceDiscoveryManager.serverSupportsFeature(ServiceDiscoveryManager.java:669)
	at org.jivesoftware.smackx.carbons.CarbonManager.isSupportedByServer(CarbonManager.java:232)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:1142)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$900(LoginDialog.java:370)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$3.construct(LoginDialog.java:910)
	at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker.lambda$new$1(SwingWorker.java:139)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Can I ask what version of Server 2019 you are running and what version of java both server and client? I have yet to run into this issue with win 10 1909/21H2 running java 8_321 x64, or server 2019 build 17763.107 running java 8_321 x64. I doubt its anything to do with the builds.

1 Like

Java JRE version installed on both servers is 1.8.0_202.
I believe this was the last distributed ver. that was bundled in the .exe?

2019 ver. is 10.0.17763.2565

Updated the JRE version to 1.8.0_321. Still having same intermittent connection issues to the 2019 server.

Resolution was to change settings for the cache for the UserDN, it was set too low for the size of our AD environment.
Second issue was related to LDAP as well. We were not targeting specifically enough in our LDAP lookup for the size of our environment so the queries were taking too long and timing out the Spark client authentication attempts.

So I would like to thank Guus at Goodbytes www.goodbytes.nl for helping in troubleshooting this issue.
They are listed here Ignite Realtime: Support - Professional Partners under the professional partners.

Thanks Guus!

1 Like