Spark will not load with redirected desktops

I know this is a known issue, but I can not find a specific fix for it. I have been looking for hours with out any luck. I hope someone here can shed some lite. Basicly when I try to open Spark on a system that has a redirected desktop it does nothing. I can copy the Spark folder from %userprofile% to redirected directory, but then the client just continusly tries to authenticate. I have bypassed my proxy server, given write access to every folder I can think of, but still nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Nothing? Is this being address in any of the new builds at least?

We are using folder redirection, and have been for 5 years now. We redirect my docs, favorites, application data, and desktops. I have not had any issues running Spark on over 1000 clients. Can you provide me some additional information about your configuration? I would love to help you solve this problem. It should be a very easy fix.

Scott

My setups all have redirected desktops as well as start menus. All agent accounts and computers are maintained via active directory and group policies. Agents have very limited access to the workstations, but have no issues reading and writing to %userprofile%.

Agents do not have write access to the redirected directories since they are on my fileserver/domain controller, but when I move the Spark dir from %userprofile% to the redirected directory Spark will load, but not connect. I am assuming that I need write access to something somewhere, which I can not allow for corp security.

The best way to figure out exactly what it’s looking for is to use something like Process Monitor from sysinternals and capture exactly what Spark is going after.

If you’re forcing ssl or some other kind of security then Spark needs to write out a file in %user profile%\addp data\microsoft\crpto\rsa\user sid\

It also writes to spark.properties so they’ll need write access to that as well as everythign else inside the spark folder under their profile.

Good to know, I can give them write access to that folder if needed. I will test it out in a bit.

Looks like that still did not resolve my issue, although I do know that it connected to the network as my local client booted me off saying I had connected elseware. I think the client is wanting to use Skype now for what ever reason, but I would love to move all of my offices off exodus to spark. If I can resolve this it would be awesome.

Did you take a Process Monitor recording of the login process? That should help figure out what’s going on.

Also, check out this thread: http://community.igniterealtime.org/message/206352#206352

This is what I get when running the process monitor.

http://pastebin.com/a8zGVhMU

Starting at line 9793 you get a lot of errors about access denied trying to create the error.log.lck file.

21:25.9 Spark.exe 2136 CreateFile \dbqfs02\settings\Spark\logs\errors.log.lck ACCESS DENIED Desired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OverwriteIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0

And a loo of lines like this one:

24:43.7 Spark.exe 2136 QueryOpen C:\Documents and Settings\cspaulding2\Local Settings\Temp\e4j_p2136.tmp NAME NOT FOUND

Is there something weird with the redirecting of the temp folder?

looks like its all because of permissions… the temp folder doesn’t get redirected, but the users don’t have access to write to it. I’ve got some tweaking to do.