SparkManager on Wildfire doesn''t update to Spark 1.0.2?

Ok, I’‘ve got the new Spark Manager installed on Wildfire now, but it doesn’'t actually update a Spark 1.0.1 install I have for testing. When I log into the client, it connects to Wildfire, and then nothing, no upgrade prompt. If I choose “Help->Look For Updates”, it appears to be trying to download from the Jive site, not the local Wildfire server.

I can’‘t see anything going wrong here, the 1.0.2 client install shows up just fine in the Spark Manager -> Client Settings. The only indication there’'s a problem is in the debug log, which shows this:

2005.12.19 08:58:00 Error sending packet to remote server:

java.lang.Exception: Failed to create connection to remote server

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise.createSessionAndSendPac ket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:139)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise.access$300(OutgoingSess ionPromise.java:37)

at org.jivesoftware.wildfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$1$1.run(OutgoingSession Promise.java:91)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

The XML namespace linked to in the error (http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#items) seems to be down at the moment, could that be causing this problem? If so, is it possible to have a copy of that namespace installed on the Wildfire server locally, as I don’'t want to be dependant on a remote website for my update functionality.

• Graeme

Did you have to do anything special to get Spark Manager recognized in Wildfire?

I’‘ve tried removing and re-installing the plugin twice and it won’'t even show up. the jar file does get expanded to a Spark Manager folder, but I get nothing in the admin page.

Here’'s what I had to do:

• Re-download the zip file after the Wildfire release, as (I believe) it was modified to deal with the new .wildfire. namespaces.

• Remove the old sparkmanager jar and directory from the plugins dir.

• Restart Wildfire.

After that, it showed up on the admin pages exactly where it used to with Jive Messenger.

Of course, now I can’'t get it to actually work[/i], but it does show up.

Hi All,

Let me take a look and see if there is an issue with the new wildfire spark manager.

Cheers,

Derek

For some reason, the sparkmanager.jar file was corrupted. It would not even be loaded into wildfire. I’'ve updated the download center with the latest. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Derek

Alright, I’'ve redownloaded and reinstalled, but it still fails to prompt me for an update on me 1.0.1/Windows install after I login.

Also, while doing further testing, I’'ve discovered that if I set the active client version to 1.0.1 in spark manager, the download link still feeds the 1.0.2 installer.

I am having the same problem. I have set it to only allow 1.0.2 but clients that are still. 1.0.1 are not getting any updates and are able to log in.

Same thing going on here except I just put out Spark 1.0.3 and it’‘s not forcing my users to update to the new version. If they click on check for updates, it lets them update. But it’'s just not forcing them like I expected it to do. Still lets them connect with 1.0.2

SparkManager does not “force” a user to update their client. However, there is a weekly update check inside of Spark that will do a check for the latest and greatest, or they can use the “Check For Updates” to check right away. So this is the intended behaviour, HOWEVER, I would love to get feedback on how others feel it should work.

Some ideas

1. Force users to update to latest version?

2. Not allow any other client connections except from Sparks latest version?

3. Other?

Please let me know.

Cheers,

Derek

I think the most useful behavior for us would be:

• On connect, check version against server, force to version specified on server (even if not necesarily the latest version). That’‘s the kind of behavior you get with other central software management systems, so that’‘s what I’'d be looking for here.

Of course, having that as one of a few configurable behaviors would probably be best for everyone.

I think there should be a checkbox option in Spark Manager for the force update upon login. I prefer that it didn’‘t disconnect any active sessions, but that I could just send an email to everybody to logout and login at their convenience. Of course, I wouldn’‘t ever want to block GAIM, Exodus, Trillion, PSI or any other IM clients. I just want to be able to manage all the users on Spark to be the same version and tell all other client users that it’'s up to them to connect theirselves.

It would also help if Spark reported the version number in the resource section on the Client Sessions page so if a particular user called or emailed having problems, you could tell if they were using the current version or not. Just another idea. I really do appreciate the work you guys put out.

Hi Derek,

I didn’‘t install Spark Manager, but that’'s what I would expect:

You can create users groups to distribute new versions first to a small amount of people (to check new features, …) before starting a company wide rollout of this version.

On server side for every version you can specify

1. how long clients with this version can connect to the server / when it expires

2. a one-time notification for the clients who are able to get the download (msg text configurable per group)

3. how many days before expiration the client gets notified with every connect (and the notification text)

It should also be possible to force a downgrade to an older version.

Maybe it can look like this:

avail expires d*1 warn_days_before_expiration+text

Group1 (admins) 5 ‘‘New version !!1!’’

win_spark_1.0.1 01 Nov 2005 20 Dez 2005 4

win_spark_1.0.2 16 Dez 2005 07 Jan 2006 1

win_spark_1.0.3 06 Jan 2006 never

Group2 5 ‘’…’’

win_spark_1.0.1 10 Nov 2005 01 Jan 2006 12

win_spark_1.0.2 20 Dez 2005 01 Feb 2006 12

win_spark_1.0.3 20 Jan 2006 never

Others (lamers) 10 ‘‘New version avail, for installation help call …’’

win_spark_1.0.1 20 Nov 2005 01 Dez 2005 23

win_spark_1.0.2 24 Dez 2005 never

win_spark_1.0.3 never never

d*1 (calculated, number of days while both versions are valid for this group)

d*2 days before expiration

/code

The client should be notified as soon as a new version is available, but the user should have the option to choose whether to install right now or later (as long as his version did not expire).

There may be some workers like sales representatives who usually have slow internet connections as long as they are out of office who probably want to install updates only when they are in the office.

Please do not blame me for such a long statement, I just want to let you know

LG

It would also help if Spark reported the version

number in the resource section on the Client Sessions

page

btw, maybe it should state Spark (i mean with capital S) and not spark Looks nicer

Not answered so much as made irrelevant, as my question was based on erroneous assumptions.

1. Force users to update to latest version?

Checkbox on version to force, perhaps it is just a minor update and no reason to force, perhaps it has a fix for something that has been causing problems.

1. Not allow any other client connections except from Sparks latest version?

Perhaps from a specific version or range.

1. Other?

Spark Manager should be MORE than a version manager. I should be able to preconfigure Spark for our network so I don’'t have to provide install details. I should also be able to force specific paramenters into the client.

For example:

Server or Host/Port

PreInstall Plugins

Plugins should be able to be served from Manager instead of Internet

Proxy Config

Preinstalled Conference Room Bookmarks

Join Room on Login